cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How to make drawings of a single part varying its dimensions

tleati
10-Marble

How to make drawings of a single part varying its dimensions

Hallo,

I have a part which is stored as a single code, but that can vary one (or more) of its dimension according to where it is assembled: in my case, it's a hook, and the length of its stem can vary according to the application.

We want to keep only one part file for the "hook.prt" but as many "hook_version_x.drw" as they are used in all the applications.

The question is, how can I plot all these .drw keeping the dimensions indicated in them unique and unlinked with those of the part file? otherwise, if I change the dimensions in the part file, obviously (as usual) all the .drw linked to the .prt take the same dimensions and that shall not happen...

Am I forced (or advised) to use a family table or can I do it also with flexibility by "unlinking" the dimension of the single .drw with those of the .prt file?

(at the moment I am by-passing the problem by converting each .drw views in 2D but that's not a great move I think...)

Thanks

Bye

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine
(To:tleati)

Hello,

When you have a single code for different part this makes problems.

Personally, I would use a family table and name the part with the code plus the dimension, then make a drawing for each instance of the family table.

it's not exhactly "different parts" because they are parts obtained from the same .prt by, for example, just cutting out a part of stem, while what matters to us is the father code (that is the part we buy from the supplier)...then ok, you can decide to code each of them, maybe for some aspect it's better but I am asking this in order to avoid having all the instances of the family table...

by the way, how do you do to automaticcally produce in windchill the .drw of each single instance every time it is created?

thanks

JLG
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:tleati)

I'm not entirely sure I know what you need, but possibly you can use a "flexible component" in your assembly. The classic case for a flexible component is a spring, where you vary the spring height. I took some snapshots to show how to do it; see the attached PowerPoint. For the drawing, you could show a simplified rep of your assembly that only includes the flexed part and show the flexed dimension.

If you're using an assembly cut, you can just show the dimension of the cut in your simplified rep view, and you wouldn't need to use a flexible component.

Top Tags