cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

How to make spiral from sheet metal

VinitKadamITT
6-Contributor

How to make spiral from sheet metal

Hello ,

I want to make the spiral of sheet metal USING CREO SHEET METAL.

First I am having this disk (as shown in following snap-sheet_metal_disk.prt.1) , then I will stretch this disk along Axis (A_8) to my required distance suppose say 56mm & the I want to twist this by suppose 27 degree.

Please find attached files (sheet_metal_disk.prt.1, spiral_part_file.prt.8 & Spiral from Sheet Metal Disk.docx) for details.

How to do this in Creo Sheet Metal? ( I want using sheet metal option only).

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

While that is a shape that can be made with actual sheet metal, it's not something that Creo Sheetmetal does. The reason is that Creo Sheetmetal generally is based on simple bends that are assumed to not stretch the metal doing so. Forms and punches are possible, but Creo just copies the surfaces from the forms and doesn't account for stretch or thinning as part of the forming process.

If Creo could do this, what result are you looking to have?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

While that is a shape that can be made with actual sheet metal, it's not something that Creo Sheetmetal does. The reason is that Creo Sheetmetal generally is based on simple bends that are assumed to not stretch the metal doing so. Forms and punches are possible, but Creo just copies the surfaces from the forms and doesn't account for stretch or thinning as part of the forming process.

If Creo could do this, what result are you looking to have?

Hello David,

Thank you for your clarification on Creo Sheet-metal that "Sheetmetal generally is based on simple bends that are assumed to not stretch the metal doing so".

Actually I tried required part using Creo .prt but during actual manufacturing of this part at (Hedfeld D-product_catalog) company using the flat disk (with different ID) & then cut the disk along radius & then stretch the ends & then twist to make the required spiral.

So , I am trying to do creo modelling  the same  way as they ((Hedfeld D) are manufacturing the spiral of sheet metal. Also I want to check after axial stretching of the disc end by required value, what will be the final ID of the Spiral (definitely I.D. will be less after stretching & then twisting) but I want to know though Creo software whether I can model this spiral as the way it is manufactured.

No, even though you can model the part in Creo (solid or sheetmetal), Creo sheetmetal will NOT give you any manufacturing details. Creo sheetmetal only calculates sheetmetal deformation on straight (linear) bends made with a press brake.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

Bends similar to this.

Top Tags