cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to model a wing shape from dxf 2D section data?

masa
1-Newbie

How to model a wing shape from dxf 2D section data?

Help me please.

Trying to model a 3D airfol from many 2D sections, but I don't know the procedure. Eech sections are given by dxf data.

I appreciate if somobody tell me at least a big picture of the procedure. My CAD is Creo Elements/Direct Modeling.

Thanks in advance for your help.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Hello正憲 米山,

I think you should import your dxf files into Creo as curves, use diferent coordinate systems to corrrctly position them into your part and start modeling. The other option is using Creo Layout but i don't think your version of Creo supports that aplication.

Hugo Barosa

Hi Masa...

I'd take part of Hugo's suggestion to position the various sections using coordinate systems. However, I'd go one step further and use Creo's Blend feature (parallel blend) to generate the airfoil shape from multiple sections. You can create one feature that incorporates all the different sections to generate the wing.

If you need step by step instructions, I might be able to whip something up. What version of ProE or Creo are you using. And, can you upload a couple of the DXF cross sections for us to work with? I think with those two bits of data I can make a quick video or step-by-step tutorial to help you.

Thanks!

-Brian

masa
1-Newbie
(To:masa)

Thanks for your guys reply!

Barosa; right. i imported the dxf files but cannot layout them into the different planes. I asked PTC and they replied to me that my product cannot hanlde multiple sections to blend... Also, Creo Layout isn't included my version.

Brian; I appreciate your suggestions. However, PTC mentioned that Creo Elements/Direct Modeling cannot handle many planes as I mentioned above, then they asked me to buy a option, surface?, or replace Creo/parametric though both prices are the same amount.... Therefore, I gave up using Creo Elements/Direct Modeling this time but look for another pass...

Best,

Masa

jsarkar
1-Newbie

You can do it in CREO parametric with swept blend feautre, However number entities must be same in all sections i guess

masa
1-Newbie

Thanks Sarkar.

Yes.I was informed so. However, I am afraid taht there is no budget to get Creo/Prametric after getting the current cad....I should research well and know that the current cad cannot handle such geometry though another cad can handle it.

Top Tags