cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to rotate part about center of face

mgarfunkel
1-Newbie

How to rotate part about center of face

Hello, I would like to rotate a part about the center of one of its faces. I am having trouple with this. See attached image. I am not able to 'snap' to the center of the face. I also cannot figure out how to use the midpoints of the edges of the face as as guides for the axis of rotation. Any help would be appreciated.

Capture.JPG

Thanks,

Marcus

P.S. I am using Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express (x64 edition) Revision: 4.0

Message was edited by: Marcus Garfunkel, Added Version info

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You missed the step of projecting the face edges onto the workplane.

2014-03-20_10-09-47.jpg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:mgarfunkel)

Is the face that you are talking about the light blue circular face or the face of the square block? If it is the block, can you make plane from diagonal corners and the make an axis from the intersection of the plane and use that for the rotation axis.

If it is the circle is there something that will allow you to put a perpendicular axis through the surface centered on the circle.

Thanks, Dale

Dear Dale,

The face that I am talking about is of the square block. That circular face was the result of me dynamically rotating the face of the square block. Athough it causes the rotational axis to be the random point I click instead of the exact center, which I desire.

See image attached, those are the create workplane choices I have. Which one do I use to select the plane from diagonal corners?

Untitled.png

Thanks,

Marcus

Due to lack of interest, I will conclude that there is no possible way to rotate an object about the center of a face. This is unfortunate for me, but I appreciate the help that was offered.

Thanks,

Marcus

You have to have something to define the rotation axis. In my example, put a workplane on the face, project the face edges and create a line between the corners. Put a circle at the center of the diagonal line and use the circle to define you rotation.

2014-03-20_9-44-10.jpg

Dear Gary,

Thanks for this information. I have created the workplane on the face and made an attempt to create a diagonal line from the opposite corners, but there does not seem to be any snapping action even though I have the 2D copilot settings correct.

2D+Snap.png

How were you able to create the diagonal line across the face by referencing the corners?

Thanks,

Marcus

You missed the step of projecting the face edges onto the workplane.

2014-03-20_10-09-47.jpg

That was it! Yes, I had no idea what that project function was for. Thank you so much!

-Marcus

Top Tags