cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

I find detailing in Creo 4 to be cumbersome in a number of ways

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I find detailing in Creo 4 to be cumbersome in a number of ways

I HATE that the "Properties" popups no longer work for dimensions, instead we're left wondering what to do, then we finally see that the dreaded ribbon has changed and the functionality that we USED to have right there in the field of the dwg is now remote.  Also, sometimes the option to put symbols in a string of text doesn't seem to exist, and I'm stuck cut&pasting from my cheat sheet of ASCII characters to get what I need.  WTEff???

Then there's the fact that in cross sections, it's almost impossible to "Exclude" components now, and even when you can, you have to do them one by one.  Ugh!

Anyone else have these issues?  Thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Patriot_1776)

For a dimension, the symbols are in the DIMENSION TEXT selection.

For a note, the symbols are in the ribbon, make sure the format tab is selected

StephenWilliams_0-1585245952114.png

StephenWilliams_1-1585245959536.png

I don't remember any other way of excluding in a x-section other than one by one in x-section menus.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:StephenW)

Hey Steve!  It doesn't work for me.  The symbols are greyed out in both the pop-up RMB "Properties" editor and in the ribbon.  It's totally p!$$ing me off no end.  Luckily, I still have my Olde School .txt file where I can cut and paste the ASCII characters in if I have to.  For some stupid reason the symbols in the dimensions work.  Go figure.  If I'd known I'd hate Creo 4 as much as I do I'd have stuck with the option of staying on Creo 3 M180 instead which would have solved my Adobe PDF creation issues.  Gah...

This install of Creo (4) is now networked instead of local, which is causing me other problems (they're using "default" layers which I hate), and I'm working remote so I couldn't do a screen capture from my remote session into here so I'm kinda crippled that way too.

Any idea why things are greyed out?

I don't have an older copy of Creo to verify, but I swear to God that excluding components from sections was a lot easier, and that I was able to exclude a bunch at the same time.  I could be wrong, but it's what I seem to remember.  This is the first large-ish (400-ish parts) assembly I've worked on in a long time.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Patriot_1776)

My process for note editing. I select the note (symbol box would be grey), then select within the note where I want to edit (or in your case, where you would want to add the symbol, the symbol box is now active/available).

If I'm making a new note, the symbol box is active immediately.

For an existing note, once your done, you can RMB properties and the old pop up dialog returns and you can edit in that window with the text symbol button available there but in my opinion the ribbon makes it easier (once you figure out the process)

Assy cross section as of creo 4 hasn't really changed that I know of. It's still the same old menu manager dialog, NEXT, exclude, NEXT, exclude, NEXT, exclude. Easy for a 3 part assy, such a pain when trying to get the x-hatch right for a 100 part assy

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:StephenW)

When I get back on the system on Monday I'll have to look at it again, but I never managed to get the symbols without using the old Cut&Paste .txt file I'd had for 20+ years.  Good thing I saved it!

I could swear you used to be able to select more than one item to exclude by using Ctrl.  But, as I said, it's been since maybe WF4 that I had to use that functionality, so I may be wrong...  This assy is a PITA because of the TON of fasteners I want to exclude.  I spent almost all day yesterday doing just that...  *facepalm*

Top Tags