cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Ideas to create a robust template

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

Ideas to create a robust template

I work in metal stampind die design, I want to improve my performance, having good templates, where we replace some inputs, and we have the desired part.

One is giving me some problems, and I'm loosing much time, repairing those problems!

The one is the cutting plate.

T_F_0-1597165476253.png

To generate the inner contour, i bring with copy geometrie a closed contour, that it's drawn in a skeleton. Then I project to a sketch that contour, and extrude removing the inner shape.

T_F_1-1597165711212.png

But for the red one, I'm also making a new sketch, were in this one, I need to make an offset, of the contour.

T_F_2-1597165855211.png

What happens when I replace the new contour.

-The extrude for the green shape, needs to be edited, and the sketch as well, to be updated.

-Some times, the direction of remove changes for the opposite direction.all the part desappears, and only the inner shape of contour will remain.

-For the red one, sometimes offset doesn't work, and also looses the reference for the contour. So I need to redraw the sketch!

Have you any ideas to improve all this?

2 REPLIES 2
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:T_F)

Projected sketches and offset sketches are not nearly as robust as surfaces and especially quilts.  When I did this type of work at a previous job, we extruded the shape as a surface in the strip layout and then created multiple offsets of the resulting quilt.  Then we just copied those quilts into the punches and trim steels and used solidify features to cut the final geometry.  Anytime something had to change, we just made the change in the strip layout and then regenerated the design and everything updated.  Hopefully this makes sense.  Let me know if you need an example.

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:TomU)

I see what you are trying to say. I have seen something similar in the past! another way to do it!

Top Tags