cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Import and solidify a faceted file using Creo 4's Freestyle feature?

David_M
5-Regular Member

Import and solidify a faceted file using Creo 4's Freestyle feature?

It used to be that you needed REX to solidify an imported facet feature, but I'm wondering if this can now be done by importing mesh geometry into a Freestyle feature and then solidifying the geometry? This might be underplaying the power of the updated Freestyle feature, but it would be pretty handy to be able to quickly import and immediately edit files for which only facet data is available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bbrejcha
12-Amethyst
(To:David_M)

REX is basically a subset of Geomagic.  Works awesome.  I even put together another workshop that converts all that data to a modifiable parametric model.

I recent taught a class in Athens Greece of all places where we brought in faceted data and modeled freestyle geometry around that.  I still suggest converting that faceted data using Creo REX as curves and surfaces are much lighter then the faced data can be deleted or suppressed.  This addition to the workflow makes for a much lighter set of geometry to work with.   I would be willing to help you with the entire workflow if you like.  PM me as I actually love this stuff.

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bbrejcha
12-Amethyst

REX is basically a subset of Geomagic.  Works awesome.  I even put together another workshop that converts all that data to a modifiable parametric model.

I recent taught a class in Athens Greece of all places where we brought in faceted data and modeled freestyle geometry around that.  I still suggest converting that faceted data using Creo REX as curves and surfaces are much lighter then the faced data can be deleted or suppressed.  This addition to the workflow makes for a much lighter set of geometry to work with.   I would be willing to help you with the entire workflow if you like.  PM me as I actually love this stuff.

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com 

jfontana
4-Participant
(To:bbrejcha)

Bart,

Do you have any updated training documents? All of the documentation I got from PTC is from WF2 & 3.

Wheelsofsteel
5-Regular Member

Hello David

We have a method that takes a 3d scan that is a mesh shell in STL format , and convert it into a solid part in .PRT format.

it uses the "save as" with "shrinkwrap"option

see below

shrinkwrap.JPG

It converts the STL shell into a solid part.

I have put in my dropbox a brief how to, that we use in PDF format on how to use the above option

It is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qa67d3iepn2969/CONVERTING%203D%20STL%20OUTPUT%20TO%20CREO%20PART%20FILE.pdf?dl=0

One thing, you have to make sure that the shrinkwarp option is set up in you save file option. That I don't know how to do, I just know it is set in my options

Peter

The Shrinkwrap alternate technique is also indicated in article CS69498, in addition to some references for the Reverse Engineering module (REX)

Top Tags