cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Import geometry fixed but still can not cut out

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Import geometry fixed but still can not cut out

I have a new project with some import geometry that needed some fixing before getting it solid, I did that. Then I assembled it into the middle of a cube and tried to use it as a cut out, this is how I test geomtery before I try to use it in a full design. But it doesn't work, the cut out fails. This is also with all the same absolute accuracy set (both parts and the assembly), and I tried different accuracies. I also tried to copy all the surfaces and use Solidify, but this is probably the same thing as a cut out as far as the engine is concerned.

What other ideas do people have for handling this? Previously I have remodeled parts from scratch. Or sometimes cut out certain areas that cause problems and remodel them back. I have also re export/import in different formats.( I haven't tried that yet on this one.).

thanks

Matt

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Inoram)

If you are getting a successful solid then perseverance is the only way... and then you go to a customer support case.

There are several ways to get to the bullion operation. I don't know if they are different algorithms. Which one are you using?

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Component > Component Operations > Cut Out

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

And then try to fix the import on a tigher accuracy and get to this stuff. Things like this seemed easier to fix in earlier versions of Pro. I mean, I sure I haven't mastered the new IDD stuff yet, but it seems like there is just less options to fix stuff.

nicesurface.JPG

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Yes, I've had this happened to splined edges. I have even submitted support cases where little has been resolved. Recently in Creo 2.0 M040, I had this issue with the Volleyball I made where I projected a sketch onto a surface and trimmed to that feature. It failed miserably with similar results as you are seeing when I tried to thicken a surface.

I suspect you are on the right track with accuracy settings but it doesn't make for good geometry, it only manages to fail less. Maybe the advanced surfacing extension has better control over these types of features with some more forgiving algorithms, but with core Creo, I am not impressed with the performance of complex edges. Either something is wrong with the code, or the implementation is less than stellar.

I highly recommend you provide this to PTC as a customer support case. We really need to see some reasonable resolution to this type of error without having to resort to optional extension modules. This is particularly the case with imports since we don't have the option of pursuing the desired geometry in a different manner.

This is the other method by using the merge/inheritance feature. I'm sure it is the same but worth noting.

You activate the part you want material removed from then navigate as shown in the image.

Good luck!

merge_inherit.png

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

I just tried it that way, same failure.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

I got the customer to send me STP, IGS, and X_T. 4 different parts. I imported everything, the odd thing though. 1 was easiest to fix as a IGS, 1 was easiest to fix as a X_T, and 2 were easiest to fix as STP. And thank goodness that covered the 4 parts.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Sad that we have to go through this much trouble. Glad you got it solved.

James62
10-Marble

Hey Matt,

What's the name of your customer's CAD system or 3D modeler?

These errors you were getting usually occur due to bad or too high of a degree surfaces. It's usually the corner radii surfaces that need to be replaced in order to perform edit operations such as surface copy, etc.

I usually find out what's exactly wrong with the model by exporting it to Rhino.

~Jakub

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:James62)

The people that modeled these are not my direct customer.

When I drop the files in Notepad it says Solidworks. I also just found out these parts were 3D scanned and not natively modeled. That is what I was told, but based on the look of the part, I think maybe if they scanned it, they just used that for the main geometry and then in Solidworks added the holes, core outs, etc.

In IDD mode I still have not figure out how to redraw a wire like in older versions of Pro. However "replace" if you have the reference seems to work great.

James62
10-Marble

Ahh, so the original surfaces are propably not from SolidWorks.

Well, SolidWorks just likes to keep the imports in a bad shape, while Pro/E is always wanting to fix them. ^.^

About the IDD redraw a wire feature, are you talking about Pro/E older than WF4? I think IDD was pretty much redone back then, so now IDD in WF4 is pretty similar to IDD in Creo 2.0.

I guess you have already figured out but, in case of a two sided edge that comes in jagged or something, and you would like to redraw it with a clean curve. You first have to draw a curve through points of the original edge. Then you remove this bad edge from wireframe to make two one sided edges from it, and then you can choose to replace these two edges with the curve.

This method does not always work cause the curve has to first lie on the extension of the surface, which can take a whole bunch of clicking sometimes.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:James62)

Yes, I went from WF3 to Creo2. It wasn't perfect but it seemed like you had some ability to play with the curve to move them around to get stuff to match(like projecting a new curve). I think I have found most of the functionality in the IDD just changed around slightly.

I need to use it more, I am sure there are more tricks I have not learned yet.

Top Tags