cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Import multi-body parasolid as assembly?

rpreliasco
5-Regular Member

Import multi-body parasolid as assembly?

Hi all,

Is there any way to import a multi-body parasolid as an assembly? I can import it as a single part but I would like to manipulate the bodies as assembly instances.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You might need to do this manually.

I have an X_T file (attached) that was exported from Creo 2.0 part file and when I imported it, it asked if I wanted it to be an assembly or a part. It came in fine as an assembly. This may not be the case with all exports by other platforms, or if the schema has some built in restrictions. I am using the default parasolid options.

Otherwise -

Can you delete the various bodies in the part and save them as unique parts with single bodies? Then you can re-assemble them using a common origin.

As a side note, I use to manipulate VRML files for minimal file size and remove any overlapping "surfaces". It was a lot of work, but the results were fantastic. If you learned how to manipulate the Parasolid files, maybe you could force an assembly before importing. X_T files are reasonably well formatted ASCII files.

Does anyone know what the various values of INTF3D_PARASOLID_EXPORT_SCHEMA actually mean?

edit: attached original PRT file

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

You might need to do this manually.

I have an X_T file (attached) that was exported from Creo 2.0 part file and when I imported it, it asked if I wanted it to be an assembly or a part. It came in fine as an assembly. This may not be the case with all exports by other platforms, or if the schema has some built in restrictions. I am using the default parasolid options.

Otherwise -

Can you delete the various bodies in the part and save them as unique parts with single bodies? Then you can re-assemble them using a common origin.

As a side note, I use to manipulate VRML files for minimal file size and remove any overlapping "surfaces". It was a lot of work, but the results were fantastic. If you learned how to manipulate the Parasolid files, maybe you could force an assembly before importing. X_T files are reasonably well formatted ASCII files.

Does anyone know what the various values of INTF3D_PARASOLID_EXPORT_SCHEMA actually mean?

edit: attached original PRT file

rpreliasco
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thanks for the test file. My problem was that i was creating a part first then trying to import the the parasolid file into it. The correct way is to simply open the parasolid file (file - open), and it will open correctly.

Top Tags