cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Import saved view orientations from one model to another

ggoyette
1-Newbie

Import saved view orientations from one model to another

Is there a way to import or transfer saved view orientations from one model to another so I don't have to recreate the views in the new model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ggoyette)

The custom button you are referring to is likely a mapkey made to rotate the view based on your initial determination of the front view. It rotates the model, saves the view to a specific name, rotates again, saves to another name, etc until all the views are added.

Someone figured it all out and recorded the keystrokes/mouse clicks to do this. It works because orthogonal views are, well, orthogonal, so it's all 90 degrees.

For you situation, you would have to figure out angles of all the views. Mapkeys are great for things you do exactly the same, over and over. Not good for something you need to do one time, assuming you only need this for one assembly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Grant,

Orientation views cannot copy or transfer to another models, you can create required views in stat model and use that as template for new models.

Disappointing I hope this becomes a feature in the future. Having a base assembly with all the views to build off of for new parts isn't a problem so long as you stay in the base assembly, but would be nice to be able to orient to a specific view when opening a part separately from the base assembly or if adding a new part to an old assembly that doesn't have the views from the newly added part.

mender
6-Contributor

Template is definitely the way to go with the current software.  I'm not sure exactly what you are are referring to with that last sentence.  I could imagine a view copy operation that just gives the orientation as it is, but this may not be useful because it wouldn't be parametric.  I could imagine a view copy that relied on the names of the items, which is ok if you oriented from base datums, but if you're orienting from base datums, having 'base' include the views is an easy step...

If you take this to a Product Idea, please note what sort of implementation you're hoping to see.

My situation is that I have an assembly #1 that I setup a bunch of view orientations. I then overlayed my assembly #1 into assembly #2 and they both share a common coordinate system. I was hoping to be able to view the orientations of assembly #1 within assembly #2 by activating assembly #1, but all I get it the view orientations of assembly #2 since assembly #1 is a sub-assembly now.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Take a look at this thread where some mapkeys are shown that at least make re-creating the standard "FRONT", "TOP", "RIGHT", etc... a snap.

Keyboard Shortcuts for Standard Views

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Mahesh_Sharma)

Technically you can read the orientation matrix with the APIs and then create a new view in a different model using these same values, but this definitely requires custom code.

Is this a feature you have seen in other software? As Matthew pointed out, it is typically managed by setting up template parts that already have the orientations defined or as Paul mentioned, by creating Mapkeys that generate the desired views in the parts/assemblies that don't have them. I prefer the latter as too often the 'Front' of a part isn't so obvious at the outset and may not be appropriate if copied from an assembly. 

Other than that, Creo is a procedural modeler and that extends to the way views are managed. Some of the view procedures are really simple, but they can be based on the orientation of model geometry and will change based on changes to that geometry, so there isn't a way to always copy them. If there was some mechanism to do the simple ones, then instead of asking how, it would be why only some of them. There's no reason to spend development time on a sophisticated view orientation UI unless it can be built from a more useful general purpose module.

I haven't seen this in other software, I was just curious if you could do it. I don't own assembly #2 and can't update it myself. , so I made assembly #1 with all the views I would like to see available in assembly #2 based off dimensions from assembly #2. I wanted to send my assembly #1 over to the user that owns assembly #2 so they could overlay my assembly into it sharing common coords and all my planes and sketches I set up would match perfectly with assembly #2. I guess I will just resolve to getting the other user to adding the views into his assembly #2 by selecting normal to on all the references from my assembly #1. Assembly #2 is a rather large model with thousands of parts and I have like 20 view orientations saved in my assembly #1 and is the reason why I was hoping to be able to just send my model to the other user and they could add it to their assembly #2 and be able to view those orientations from assembly #1. We do have a custom button in the View ribbon that adds 8 custom views (all the orthogonal views and 2 isometric views) to any model based on a selected front view of the assembly you have activated, which is why I thought it might be possible to copy view orientations from a sub assembly to a main assembly. Not quite sure how to set up a custom ribbon button to add view orientations based on a selected reference in the current assembly, but any light on this would be appreciated and would solve my issue.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

The custom button you are referring to is likely a mapkey made to rotate the view based on your initial determination of the front view. It rotates the model, saves the view to a specific name, rotates again, saves to another name, etc until all the views are added.

Someone figured it all out and recorded the keystrokes/mouse clicks to do this. It works because orthogonal views are, well, orthogonal, so it's all 90 degrees.

For you situation, you would have to figure out angles of all the views. Mapkeys are great for things you do exactly the same, over and over. Not good for something you need to do one time, assuming you only need this for one assembly.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

It may get you a better answer if you give us some screenshots (or dummy parts/assembly) of the specific requirement you have. I think something might be lost in the details of how you are asking your question and the assumptions we are making based on our own experiences.

If all your parts are built from a start part (or assemblies from a start assembly) and they have views defined, you will always have a consistent set of views.

If you are doing "in-body" modeling and your parts are at odd positions from your base datums/coordinate systems, that's a tricky situation that some users probably deal with daily.

HI There,

You can orient the model and know orientation angles by creating a (temp) coordinate system Z normal to the screen. This will provide coordinate system with XYZ rotation angles. These angles can be used for configuring same viewpoint in other models/assemblies.

Cheers

HI,

I used to do this option before but now I forgot . After temp co-ordinate system is created in another assembly, what is the procedure to get the exact orientation. Edit the reference of co-ordinate system and give the reference to default coordinate system. please let me know. Thanks

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:SMMV)

After creating your temp coordinate system. Edit the definition of the temp coordinate system and select the default coordinate system. It will leave the temp coordinate system in the same place and auto-magically change your placement to offset with the dimensions to the default coordinate system.

Top Tags