cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Importing assembly.asm as part?

Sandy1
9-Granite

Importing assembly.asm as part?

Hi everyone,

Would appreciate your help.

• I'm in assembly mode, Assembly C.
  • Importing Assembly B.asm (comprises of B1.prt, B2.prt,B3.prt) and Assembly A.asm

Question

Can I import Assembly B.asm as a part? I don't want to accidentally move B1.prt ,B2.prt and B3.prt relative to each other.(a.ka I want assembly B.asm frozen when I import it)

Thanks

Sandy

12 REPLIES 12
Hidetaka
14-Alexandrite
(To:Sandy1)

I don't really understand what you mean by "importing" and assembly. If B.asm is a native Creo asm, do you mean assemble B.asm into C.asm? 

Sandy1
9-Granite
(To:Hidetaka)

Hi Hidetaka,

Yes. I'm in assembly C and I'm "importing/Assemble" assembly B into assembly C.  Assembly B is now a sub assembly.

I want assembly B to be "frozen", i.e. I don't want its parts (B1,B2,B3) to accidentally move around when I'm in the main assembly C.

Thxs

Sandy

Hidetaka
14-Alexandrite

You can assemble B.asm into C.asm as you would normally do. As long as you don't edit definition of any components of B, the relative positions between the components of B will remain, i.e., if you edit definition of B.asm, all the components will move together.

I think what you want to do is to avoid accidentally edit definition of one of B's components. One way to do that is to export B.asm as a step file, then import it as a part.

Hidetaka_0-1631078949078.png

In the screen appeared when you import step file, select "Part" as the screenshot above.

Then B will become a part.

I don't know why but sometimes the relative position of parts in B may not be the same as it was. Maybe someone in this forum knows.

If you just want to "freeze" B.asm and then "unfreeze" it and work with B, currently I don't know any method to do so.

Sandy1
9-Granite

Hi Hidetaka,

I have been thinking of exporting B.asm as step file to import it later as part as well. It works, but as you pointed out if I want to "unfreeze" the B , then yea i'm out of luck.

Another way, that this can work out, is to fully constraint B1.prt,B2.prt,B3.prt in the B.asm. That way, when I bring it to assembly C, it's coming fully constraint and no parts in B.asm will be able to move relative to each other by mistake.

Thxs

Sandy

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine

I would avoid leaving parts in B assembly "packaged" and always fully constrain them.

Hidetaka
14-Alexandrite

One thing I don't understand in your question is how the relative position of parts in B.asm could change. 

I think a common practice is to make all subassemblies fully constrained (over constrained is sometime recommended, to avoid accidentally editing definitions and enforce design intent). In my company, it is a rule. That is why in my answer I said you could do as you would normally do.

Sandy1
9-Granite

Hi Hidetaka,

We just introduced CREO in our company and we are mostly learning by doing(consulting Dr.Google and books) so no rules about CAD for now. 

Your company rule about fully constrained an assembly before using it somewhere else is nice. That's a good tip and I'll take it onboard. Cheers mate.

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine

Sandy I would recommend getting at least one of your team on an approved training course. The trouble with Dr Google is he doesn't always give the right answer and doesn't necessarily engender best practice. CREO is a vast and powerful tool your organisation will benefit greatly by getting the users properly trained. Also this forum provides a wealth of useful information.

Hidetaka
14-Alexandrite

I totally agree with mashton-2. I couldn't imagine someone using Creo without proper training. Creo is notoriously unfriendly to beginners.

Several months ago I found this document about good modelling practices on internet and agree with most of it. Maybe you'll find it helpful.

Sandy1
9-Granite

Thank you, much appreciated. I'll go through the pdf.

We did have 3 days of training but that's all basic now. 

Thxs

Sandy

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine

Hidetaka

I have seen several similar best practice documents in the past but that is as good as any off them.

Regards

Martin

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Here's several lists of modeling practices.  Some were written to be entertaining!

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Tips/Commandments-of-ProE-summary/m-p/235245

Top Tags