cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Inbuilt Browser Oddities

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Inbuilt Browser Oddities

I wasn't sure where to post this but maybe this is a good enough place.

Recently when I start up Creo (Croe 4.0, M120), I get an annoying popup from the browser that is built in, as shown here. Is there anything I can do about this? Do I notify someone that their script is failing? I don't know if it's just me. I don't see this when I browse over to the community site with my normal browser (Firefox).

Maybe I could stop Creo from bringing up this browser? I never understood the reason for it being there anyway.

Creo Script Failure.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:KenFarley)

I don't know what the real problem is...

I Add these config.pro options I'm on Creo 4 M130

web_browser_homepage about:blank
enable_3dmodelspace_browser_tab no
enable_partcommunity_tab no
enable_resource_browser_tab no

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:KenFarley)

I don't know what the real problem is...

I Add these config.pro options I'm on Creo 4 M130

web_browser_homepage about:blank
enable_3dmodelspace_browser_tab no
enable_partcommunity_tab no
enable_resource_browser_tab no

Yes.

Now I can shun the unnecessary browser. And the error message no longer demands my attention (twice, it of course used to come up twice per session).

I'd add that this error is most probably displayed because Creo is using Internet Explorer as the internal browser and if you'd load the same page in standalone Internet Explorer, you'd most likely get the same exact error. It's because the error comes from the browser unable to properly execute one of the JavaScript the site is using and it's nothing explicitly Creo-related. And since even MS is abandoning Internet Explorer now, soon no one will probably care about their page being not compatible with IE 😉

Apart from Stephen has suggested, you might also try setting config.pro option windows_browser_type to chromium instead of IE, so that embedded browser would use Chrome engine instead of IE (IIRC, PTC has also made this switch recently and chromium browser is the new default in latest Creo 7.0 and Creo 8.0 releases). After that I'm quite sure you might load said site without any script errors.

Thanks. I don't know if it's specific to Creo 4.0, but for the option to work I had to set

windows_browser_type  chromium_browser

I only noticed because I'm an "edit the config file with a text editor" person. What's weird is when I checked the settings to look for the dreaded red slashed circle, it had this one marked, but wouldn't let me set it to a correct value. I had to comment out the offending line from my config file, then start a fresh session of Creo in order to see what the okay values for the parameter were. How strange.

No, it's not 4.0 specific, I just didn't remember the whole value for this specific option 🙂

I also checked what you said regarding "red circle" and it turns out that if you have "illegal" value for this option, you indeed can't select one of the proper values, so your way of doing it (remove option and start Creo again) is OK.

rleir
17-Peridot
(To:LukaszMazur)

I am using CREO 8 and it still does not look at the windows default browser, it defaults to ie. To  find the properties dialog in CREO:

• File -> Options
  • at the bottom: Configuration Editor 
  • Show: All options
  • scroll way down, windows_browser_type is about 10 lines above the end

It depends of your 8.0 release. Chromium as a default browser was (supposed) to be set starting from 8.0.3.0, so if you're on earlier version, you may indeed still have IE as a default browser. For example in latest Creo 8.0.6.0 chromium_browser is default value for windows_browser_type.

rleir
17-Peridot
(To:LukaszMazur)

Lukaz

I have 8.0.1.0. No worries, we know how to set the property!

cheers -- Rick

rleir
17-Peridot
(To:rleir)

CREO is incredibly persistent at restoring I.E.. Despite setting the properties above, CREO still uses I.E. at startup. Any help would be appreciated!

It's still starting a 'Resource browser' in I.E., with many script warnings.

I've never experienced Creo resetting by itself option set in config.pro. Are you sure the option is not being set somewhere else and it takes precedence over your option? Check File > Help > System Information for config files loaded into Creo and their locations an see if windows_browser_type is not being set there.

Top Tags