cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Inspection with Creo module

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Inspection with Creo module

We have access to a programmable CMM machine that can be driven by PC-DMIS software. I'd like to be able to pre-program the inspection program for a part using Creo, so I won't have to tie up the inspection machine defining the picks, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with performing this function with Creo? I seem to recall something like Pro/CMM or the like being promised, never saw anything concrete or testable that we could experiment with. How do you folks approach the inspection of complex contoured parts that have surface profile tolerances and the like?

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Kenneth,

the optional module Pro/CMM in Creo can output DMIS language to drive probes of coordinate measuring machines.

The measured can then be loaded into Creo to compare deviation from the ideal surfaces.

It's a long time I had looked into the functionality, but I remember that it was also possible to calculate idealized geometries (plane, circle, cylinder...) based on some measure points and then measure against these theoretical geometries.

And it was possible to select tolerances from model (or drawing - don't remember) to use them when measuring the deviation of the measured points from these calculated geometries. This way you for example could locate a plane surface somewhere and measure it's planarity.

Is this what you are searching for?

Thanks,

Gunter

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:gkoch)

I asked this in the "Modeling" group, too, since the Manufacturing stuff seems see very little traffic.

Yes, I'm looking for something that will let me generate DMIS language programs. The thing is, if I look at the PTC online stuff about this, there is really nothing stating any specifications about capabilities. The most recent thing I've found is a video from 5 years ago. If this is a currently active product, I would expect to see some sort of examples or similar info telling me what it can do.

P.S. I see you've got the PTC logo in your avatar. If that means you work with/for them, I've noticed that under the "Mathcad" umbrella, a subgroup is titled "Calcus and Derivatives", which should be "Calculus and Derivatives", shouldn't it?

FV
17-Peridot
17-Peridot
(To:KenFarley)

Hi all,

Kenneth,

Pro/CMM is operational and can output a DMIS text file, the functionality is OK for outputting the 'pick' location data, PC-DMIS will read it and convert to semi-acceptable 'native' data, some tweaks would be needed.

PC-DMIS 2014 and 2015 can extract semantic annotations from Pro/E (creo parametric) models - there is a pc-dmis interface module for Creo. The functionality is still being developed and may or may not be what you would need.

Depending on you CMM programming requirements, if we are talking about PC-DMIS point feature (AUTO_VECTOR_FEATURE) - you could output a text file with theoretical XYZIJK values from a Pro/E model, use an analysis feature for it, PC-DMIS is fully capable to read and process the text data into 'pick' points. Again, human input would be needed if PC-DMIS measurement features to be created.

Regardless of method of exporting geometric locations  it is quite difficult to output information about pass/fail measurement requirements from Pro/E without additional human input...  

HIH.

Feliks.

Top Tags