cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Interactive DRW P&ID

kmccormack-2
6-Contributor

Interactive DRW P&ID

Is there any way you can make a block or symbol on a drw and then have the user be able to click that block and have the users go to a Windchill object? 

We have these P&IDs with a bunch of symbols on them that link to objects in Windchill.  We want the user to be able to click on P&ID and go to the object page.  

Anyone have any solution suggestions? 

Thanks, Kenny. 

4 REPLIES 4

you can assign hyperlinks to notes; not sure but you could use show those notes as labels under your symbols...

I did some searches in the knowledge base. I assuming you are looking to have uses click this from a PDF of the drawing when published right? If in Creo, far easier to just use standard Windchill functionality to link to part from the workspace, BOM or related links.

• If publishing to HPGL (PLT), links are removed which makes sense: cs318417 
  • Links cannot be created in a format, must be passed in a table note: cs130533 
  • Links cannot be put in a symbol: cs318417 

Some of these are referencing older versions, there are a number of SPRs and will not fix issues I came across. I think they still apply to current versions unless there is an enhancement I did not see.  Weatherford had a nice coversheet customization that published a whole report to gather up related information. Perhaps we are trying to cram too much intelligence into the drawing. Manually creating these links, which do change, might be more trouble than its worth.

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes from a PDF.  But if another 2D format works, then we can consider. 

The majority of our users don't have Creo so can't use the P&ID in Creo.  

I do understand how a user can click in the 3D model from Creo View and go the part but I'm referring to a P&ID.  A P&ID is a 2D representation of the 3D model.  Its purpose is to show the flow of media through a system of pipes.  It's not to scale so I can't refer to the model.  It has to be a 2D drawing. 

Thanks, Kenny.   

Do the users have Windchill licenses? They must I guess since that is the point right? Cannot use symbols, only notes. Not sure if that nixes this approach. You would have to manually add a note at each location to create the link. That does not seem to be what you are looking to do. Since the P&ID symbol as the part number underneath, is there also a corresponding BOM to this drawing? Or is this just a diagram? If there is a BOM with all those symbols as components, should be easy enough to have this up when they review drawing. 

Another option while not a direct hyperlink would be a direct lookup by part number which brought you straight to the page. I have created as others static URL where the part number is a parameter. Should be easy enough to paste in a part number into a form and have it bring you directly to that part page in Windchill. User would have to copy text from PDF and paste into form to get there but better then standard search since it eliminates a few hops.

Top Tags