cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Interference check for solid geometry only?

David_M
5-Regular Member

Interference check for solid geometry only?

Does anyone know how to do an interference check that discards surface geometry? My checks always have lots of irrelevant information in them about construction surfaces. It would also be great if I could check interference between specific parts within an assembly rather than the whole assembly at once.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm on Wildfire 5.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi David,

With regards to your second question... I also want an easy way to select a few parts to check interference, limiting the analysis to just those parts. The only way I can figure out how to do it is to create a simplified rep of just the parts to be analyzed and then run global interference check. This should limit the analysis to only what's visible.

view manager > simp rep tab > properties button > hide the entire assembly > select the parts you want to run the analysis on > run global interference check

I can't figure out any other way to do it (which is why I searched and stumbled onto this thread). Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

If you run a "Global Interference" you shouldn't have this problem. There is a box you can check to include quilts. I just added a surface part to an assembly & it did not come up when I ran the clearance check. I am also running Wildfire 5.0.

David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:David_M)

Hi Mike

This seems to have worked in terms of eliminating the quilts, but it’s still including parts which I don’t want it to, and therefore giving a much longer list than is needed (and taking a lot longer). Is there any way to choose parts? If not I could settle for a way of exporting the list so I can filter it in Excel.

Thanks

Global Interference check is great for finding the little interferences you forget about. I have never had any problem with it. It doesn't lie. I don't know how your model is setup but you can run the check on sub assemblies also. I am not aware of a way to filter your results within PROE. My goal is to always have no interferences. Good luck!

Hi David,

With regards to your second question... I also want an easy way to select a few parts to check interference, limiting the analysis to just those parts. The only way I can figure out how to do it is to create a simplified rep of just the parts to be analyzed and then run global interference check. This should limit the analysis to only what's visible.

view manager > simp rep tab > properties button > hide the entire assembly > select the parts you want to run the analysis on > run global interference check

I can't figure out any other way to do it (which is why I searched and stumbled onto this thread). Hope this helps.

One quick option is to use the ANALYSIS > MODEL > PAIRS CLEARANCE option, and then filter by PART or COMPONENT. This will allow you to select either parts or sub-assemblies and check for either clearance or interference. If there is clearance, the minimum value will be displayed. If there is interference, the volume will be displayed. Hope this helps.

It's even quicker to pick the parts first and then click pairs clearance.

In WF5, you can pick two parts and then right click -->representation --> master. It's a shortcut for isolating two parts. Then you can do clearance check between the parts. I find the clearance check does a better job of illustrating the interference than the global interference. In WF5, global interf checks shows way too many lines and edges.

Hi You can try downloading DFMPro for Creo.

Rule

To achieve desired functionality and ease of assembly interference between assembly components must be avoided.

Explanation

This rule identifies interference conditions between assembly components, Interference detection is most useful in complex assemblies, where it can be difficult to visually determine whether components interfere with each other.

Recomendations

By default, all components of the assembly are selected for analysis and all quilt surfaces are ignored from interference detection. Generally, it is expected that nominal dimensions of components should not result in interference.

Example

Configuration

For rule configuration, following options are available. One of the options can be selected for checking interference between assembly components.

Check For All Components [ Selected by default ]

Interference condition will be checked for all pairs of components in an assembly.

Check For Selected Components

This option can be used to check interference between selected pairs of components.

Steps to be followed for selecting components pairs for analysis :

Left click on a cell in the table to edit/ type the component name with columns “Component 1” and “Component 2”.

OR

Right click on a cell, browse and select the component file.

Input format for interference analysis of specific components.

Input

Interpretation

ABC

ABC.prt or abc.prt.1 or aBc.prt.4 – latest version used in the assembly being checked will be used

*ABC*

parts having abc or ABC in their names

All parts

*_M32

All parts ending with _M32

*_pcb_*.asm

All sub-assemblies having _pcb_ in their names

NOTE – file names are not case sensitive.

Interference between the following part types will be checked

1. Solid to Solid

2. Solid to Quilt

3. Part (Solid or Quilt) to sub-assembly

4. Sub-assembly to sub-assembly

5. Hybrid Parts (having solids as well as quilts)

Additional Options

Option

Default State

Function

Ignore Quilt Surfaces

Selected

It will ignore all surface components/quilt surfaces of the assembly file

Ignore Threaded Region

Not selected

Ignore interference results in the threaded region. Results outside the region will be reported

www.dfmpro.com.

Please let me know your feedback

Hello,

There is now way out to carry out selective clearance and inteference checks on assembly. you can visit www.dfmpro.com or visit PlanetPTC 2012 booth # 611

Top Tags