cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Issue when Replacing Parts within an Assembly - ECAD -> MCAD

nbrenn
1-Newbie

Issue when Replacing Parts within an Assembly - ECAD -> MCAD

I am working to generate a more accurate 3D model of a circuit board, using 3D components downloaded from supplier websites.

Since I am new to PTC Creo 3.0 (I have an electrical background), I am having a difficult time replacing the original parts with the parts that I downloaded from the supplier's websites.

Here is my process, that I learned from some instructional videos online:

• Select the component that I wish to replace.
  • Select Operations -> Replace
  • Since I am replacing, say, a 3D rectangle with an actual component, I select "Unrelated Component"
  • I selected the component that I am looking to replace.
  • I chose "Edit Reference Table".  Question 1: What am I supposed to do with Tag1?

question1.JPG

• I chose the proper references, and then hit Apply and OK.

The issue that I am running into, is, when I hit OK, the component is not being replaced in the same location as the original component.  It is being placed off to the side of the circuit, with the movement capabilities added to it (I am within Component Placement).  And when I hit the Green check mark, after dragging it to my desired location, it disappears

offtotheside.JPG <- the component isn't in the location of the component I wanted to replace it with.

Any help is greatly appreciated

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Nicholas,

Could you please upload the models that you are working with?  It may not be necessary for you to use the Reference Table, but I will have a better idea after looking at the actual models.

Take a look at the following link for attaching files:

How to Attach a File to a Discussion Reply

Thanks,

Amit

Amit,

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately due to the confidentiality of my PCB, I am unable to upload the model online.  Do you have any suggestions that you can make based on what I have already posted? 

Hi Nicholas,

Try doing the following:

1. Select the component to replace > RMB > Replace
  2. Unrelated Component > select the File Open icon > select the component to replace with > OK
  3. Specify the necessary constraints from the Component Placement dashboard to place the component in the desired location
Top Tags