cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Layer status propagates through child parts

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

Layer status propagates through child parts

I have a part with a Publish Geometry feature. This feature consists of 3 quilts. The quilts are on a layer called, funnily enough, "QUILTS". I pull this Publish Geometry into a new part. If I create a layer "QUILTS" in this new part next time I regenerate the model the 3 quilts appear in this layer like they do in the parent part. In THIS part I do not want to see all 3 quilts in this layer. Why? Because. If I remove the quilt from the layer, next time I regen there it is again. Now, I purposely removed it from the layer, but there it is again, as if to tell me that it knows I was only kidding when I removed it.

So, how can I break this associativity of layers across parent and child parts? Obviously I want the geometric associativity, just not the layers. (There are no rules for this layer.) This applies to colors too. If I make a quilt a different color in the parent part it shows up the same color in the child part. If I remove the color, next time I regenerate it's changed back to its parent's color. Call me a curmudgeon, but I think that for the price of this software, if I change something like this it should stay changed.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Are the layers "rules-based"? All the ones in our start parts in Centennial are. I really like doing it that way vs. the "default" type, but it does have one or 2 drawbacks. But, you CAN remove the item form the layer by going into the layer and "Excluding" it from the rules. The feature remains in the list on that layer, but has been effectively removed. "Remove", oddly enough, does not work, go figure.....

If I can help, just shoot me an e-mail!

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:Patriot_1776)

No, there are no rules for this layer. It just seems to copy the quilts' layer placement from the parent part. This always happens no matter what the geometry. If I have a curve/datum plane/point/axis on a layer, and that curve/etc. is in a Pub Geom, then that curve's layer status is repeated in the child part. Annoying.

Hmm, I do Copy Geom's pretty often, but haven't played with the Publish Geom setting of it, at this point I didn't see a need to control that.

Yeah, layers are still a little wonky. I had trouble with layers in my skeleton NOT changing hen I wanted them to while working in an assembly. Very annoying. I LOVE rules though!

Top Tags