cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

MINIMUM DIMENSION ON DRAWINGS

dbolden
4-Participant

MINIMUM DIMENSION ON DRAWINGS

I need to define the distance between two edges.  They are both round.  I want the minimum distance and not the center to center.  How do I do this both in the measure tool and also in my drawing.  See below:

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dbolden)

Use the intersect option and the ctrl key when in dimension creation.

INTERSECT.jpg

Since it is an assembly, adding it to a sketch isn't really an option unless you are willing to add real curve geometry. Although at .002, no one would see it.  There also may be accuracy issues if the part is large and the feature is really really small.

Are you sure you are picking the right radius for the tangent dimension image, it shouldn't go to another radius, I've seen to jump to unexpected spots but never to the completely wrong radius.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II

In the measure tool, by default it will go to center-center on radii. Unclick the "USE AS CENTER" in the dialog box.

useascenter.jpg

In the drawing, in your example, I would create a dimension select the 2 radii and select tangent for both in the menu manager. It's sensitive to where you pick the radius, so don't pick to close to an endpoint.

tangent.jpg

Other methods for the drawing are to use intersect when creating the dimension (pick your radius and the centerline you have shown for each point) or to create the feature using a construction point and dimension it in the model and then just show the dimension.

dbolden
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

This is an assembly.  I tried to create a dimension in the model using the tangent and then vertical options but it still places a .376 dimension to the larger dimension.  I should be getting .002.  It snaps to the tangent further up on the top radii.

When I try to dimension within the drawing it doesn't let me choose (2) entities.  Even when I hold the control key when I click the second line it wipes out the first.

When I try to do this as construction geometry it doesn't let me exit the sketch because there is no real geometry.

dbolden
4-Participant

TIP CLEARANCE.jpg

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Use the intersect option and the ctrl key when in dimension creation.

INTERSECT.jpg

Since it is an assembly, adding it to a sketch isn't really an option unless you are willing to add real curve geometry. Although at .002, no one would see it.  There also may be accuracy issues if the part is large and the feature is really really small.

Are you sure you are picking the right radius for the tangent dimension image, it shouldn't go to another radius, I've seen to jump to unexpected spots but never to the completely wrong radius.

dbolden
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

As I suspected I wasn't doing the intersect command correctly.  I didn't pick the second set of points.  I picked the first radii and the center line, but not the second radii and centerline.  I was holding the control key but not completing the selection set.

Thanks once again for your assistance.  I can always count on you to have a prompt answer

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Anytime...but don't confuse prompt with correct!!!

Top Tags