cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Manually override mass of assembly

CO_10042101
4-Participant

Manually override mass of assembly

Hi everyone

I have an assembly from a supplier with a lot parts in it.

I know the overall weight of the assembly.

I don´t want to waste time with assigning materials to all these parts, so is it possible to override the weight calculation with a user defined weight?

Best regards

Claus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:CO_10042101)

2 options:

In the assy, go to file prepare model mass properties change. Change the "define properties by" to fully assinged. You might want to test it to make sure it works as expected. If this is just mass, it's pretty easy, if it's CG also, it gets a little more complicated from an input standpoint.

I usually as MP_density to my model tree columns and then just add the density to each part in the model tree (hopefully all the same), copy-paste-paste-paste. I don't add material to all the vendor parts. Of course, 10 parts easy, 100 parts, not so bad, 1000 parts, well, 20000, yuck and multiple materials, yikes! But your CG should be accurate.

3rd option is to import the part as a part instead of an assy and set the density so it makes the part the correct weight.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:CO_10042101)

2 options:

In the assy, go to file prepare model mass properties change. Change the "define properties by" to fully assinged. You might want to test it to make sure it works as expected. If this is just mass, it's pretty easy, if it's CG also, it gets a little more complicated from an input standpoint.

I usually as MP_density to my model tree columns and then just add the density to each part in the model tree (hopefully all the same), copy-paste-paste-paste. I don't add material to all the vendor parts. Of course, 10 parts easy, 100 parts, not so bad, 1000 parts, well, 20000, yuck and multiple materials, yikes! But your CG should be accurate.

3rd option is to import the part as a part instead of an assy and set the density so it makes the part the correct weight.

Another option if you have access to Creo Simulate Live is to do a mass material assignment. I am not sure why they stuck this in Creo Simulate Live, but there is a way to assign a material to multiple components in an assembly.

Top Tags