cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Material Definition Creo View

JR_10680659
7-Bedrock

Material Definition Creo View

Is there a way to see the material definition for a step file in Creo View?

In Creo 10, I am able to select the option for "Material Definition" when I create the step file. However, after exporting the step file and opening it in Creo View, I don't see any way to view the materials I had original defined in Creo 10

JR_10680659_0-1724258356288.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Think I actually found it. If you select the "As a Separate STEP PRODUCT Entity" option, then I'm not sure what it does with the data. However, if you leave it unchecked, then it just appears as a parameter when you select the part.

JR_10680659_0-1724262455379.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

This option is also available in Creo 7.  The material does not get saved in the STP file. Maybe that is part of there Phase II to STP implementation that is coming down the road in Creo 11.

llie_0-1724261115374.png

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:llie)

According to this:

https://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/index.html#page/data_exchange/interface/Supported_STEP_AP203_and_AP214_Classes.html 

some (newer?) STEP formats will include material metadata. How that is interpreted by the next program you import the STEP file into is another matter. It appears to not be handled in a desirable fashion, or at least does not provide a means of inquiring. I don't use Creo View, so don't know - does it let you do a File->Prepare->Model Properties like regular Creo does?

Think I actually found it. If you select the "As a Separate STEP PRODUCT Entity" option, then I'm not sure what it does with the data. However, if you leave it unchecked, then it just appears as a parameter when you select the part.

JR_10680659_0-1724262455379.png

Correct, because you are going thru Windchill. Stand alone STP file saved to your desktop out of Creo will not show the material. I was going to ask if you use Windchill.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags