cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Measure cable minimum bend radius?

DevinHahne
12-Amethyst

Measure cable minimum bend radius?

Hello,

Are the claims in the following statement correct? Specifically, is the statement underlined and in bold correct?

Creo manages the bend radius of the CAD model by applying the minimum bend radius from the spool onto the cable geometry. Networks are simply helper aids for routing. They do not control bend radii. When Creo places cables, it tries to follow the Network first. But in some scenarios, where the network is tighter than the spool's minimum bend radius, it will allow the cable to depart from the Network. Essentially, what you're seeing is Creo applying the minimum bend radius of the spool onto the 3D cable geometry. Therefore, you don't really "measure" the minimum bend radius so much as enforce the minimum bend radius.  Any measurement that would be taken would equal the value of the minimum bend radius of the spool.

Thank you!

Devin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:DevinHahne)

The statement is almost true.

Any measurement that would be taken would equal the value of the minimum bend radius of the spool.

This should be amended to say that a measurement will be no less than the minimum bend radius. You can obviously have bends that are very shallow or if you have a straight point to point, no bends at all.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Chris3
20-Turquoise

The statement is almost true.

Any measurement that would be taken would equal the value of the minimum bend radius of the spool.

This should be amended to say that a measurement will be no less than the minimum bend radius. You can obviously have bends that are very shallow or if you have a straight point to point, no bends at all.

DevinHahne
12-Amethyst
(To:Chris3)

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your edit.  That gets me closer to resolution, though not fully to resolution.

Based on your answer, is it true that there's no way to actually measure the bend radius.  Say I have a gently sloping cable, giving it a bend radius much larger than the minimum allowed by the spool.  Is there any way to measure the radius of that bend?  I'm required to do more than simply assure all bends are greater than minimum.  I get asked, "great that it's larger than minimum, but what is the value of the radius?"  Any advice?

Chris3
20-Turquoise

This is not a requirement that I have had to verify myself so I don't have a good answer for you.

It may be tedious, but you could route a new truncated cable along the same path in the area of interest and then modify the spool minimum bend angle until the shape changed or the cable failed. That may be a round about way to do it. Maybe someone else has a better answer.

Top Tags