cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Merge/Don't merge Extrude

JosephLord
1-Newbie

Merge/Don't merge Extrude

Hi, I used to use Solidworks, and when modeling an extrude on a part, it was possible to select whether or not to 'merge' the new extrude with the rest of the part. If you deselected merge, the new extrude would be independant from the rest of the solid. For example, I want to model a mold-in insert into a plastic part and show a section view. If I model the hole at 8mm diameter and model the molded in insert at 9mm diameter (because it has ribs for the plastic to mold around), you don't see anything because the new extrude merges with the solid. So I have to make the insert 7.99mm diamter so you see the lines on the section view. On Solidworks it would look like the insert was a seperate part even though it is a single part model, i.e you can see the 0.5mm overlap between the 9mm extrude with the 8mm hole.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Joseph Of course the best way to show what you want is to use an assembly, but another trick would be to use a surface to show the outline of the insert. The threaded hole feature is done that way. There is not a merge or not to merge in the part mode for what you want to do. Eric
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags