cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Metal Grating

ptc-6373552
1-Newbie

Metal Grating

Hi Creo Community,

I'm running creo 5.0.4. I'm trying to make some metal grating like the pictures below. To give you an idea of scale, a single hole is about 1" wide and about 3" long. I need to create a sheet of this about 40ft long and about 10ft wide. How would you recommend doing this? is there a way to use a cosmetic feature or perhaps get creo to treat it as a single feature not 20,000 features such as in a fill pattern? Or perhaps as a material/texture?

Thanks!

AdobeStock_176613401_Preview.jpegAdobeStock_242950377_Preview.jpeg

11 REPLIES 11
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ptc-6373552)

What do you intend to do with the file? Just a pretty picture or something that will be cut and mated to a structure?

Hi BenLoosli,

I have a big part part (see below) that needs to have this grating across the entire top where the yellow solid plate is shown. I can add it to this part or can create a new part and add it into an assembly. Image 1.jpg

One way to actually model this would be to use geometry pattern and even a pattern of a pattern. I'm attaching a brief presentation I did on this. It's from an old version of Pro/E so you'll have to forgive the actual GUI selections.

WOW! Awesome, I will try this out. Thanks for the tip!

rburgess-2
14-Alexandrite

Another time saver in newer releases of Creo, (I'm using Creo 4.0 M140), is the "identical" option. This alone cut over 75% from regen time in large patterns. (See attachment)

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:rburgess-2)

@rburgess-2 wrote:

(I'm using Creo 4.0 M140)

Must be an advanced copy since the PTC Product Calendar only lists through M130 to be released in April 2020 and the latest release was M100 in July.

rburgess-2
14-Alexandrite
(To:BenLoosli)

M040 ><

The "identical" option for a pattern was already present in Wildfire 4.0 🙂

rburgess-2
14-Alexandrite
(To:HamsterNL)

We installed Creo 4.0 M040, (got it right this time), in 2018 but, didn't find the identical setting until +/- 2019... Yay team!

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I came across a method referred to as turbo pattern.  This helps a lot with regeneration of complicated feature patterns.  Should help with simple ones also.

TURBO PATTERN (Patterning complicated features without overly slowing regeneration)

• Create single feature
  • Copy surfaces down to base of feature
    • Hint: Select single surface on feature, hold shift and select bounding surface(s) and release shift. This should select all of the surfaces of the feature.
  • Pattern surface copy
  • Solidify original surface copy
  • Pattern solidification

There is always more to learn in Creo.
rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine
(To:kdirth)

this is exactly what the Geometry pattern does except that it waits to do the solidification till the end because that is actually the slowest part of feature creation. 

Top Tags