cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Model-Based Definition with mirrored parts

Ziegi
8-Gravel

Model-Based Definition with mirrored parts

Hi

We are developing injection moulded plastic parts. Often we use the mirror functionality to create e.g. left and right version. Typically around 10% of the features are different between the parts (through holes vs, hole for PT screws). At the end we issue two datasets, one for each side, but the vast majority is identical.

For geometry/bodies we know how to handle this, but struggle with model-based definition features.

We tried several options, but none is able to mirror such features. Even worse Show Annotations does not show any elements in the mirrored part.

What is the best approach to model-based definition features in mirror parts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ziegi
8-Gravel
(To:Mfridman)

@Mfridman 

Indeed such a enhancement would be needed. I hope you can push that into Creo soon 🙂

There is already a Creo Parametric Idea: Creating Mirror of a part in Creo 7.0

at all readers: Please vote for it!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mfridman
16-Pearl
(To:Ziegi)

Hi @Ziegi 

Can you please provide more details on the issues that you see for annotations, once you have mirrored the part? 

Maybe you can provide a simple part that shows the issue that you are seeing or some images.

Also, I wonder if you have tried to have the annotations be as part of an annotation feature (vs having them as standalone annotations)?

annotation feature, is just like any other feature ,so it will support mirror operations (like geometry supports) and the annotations that it contains will be mirrored too

Ziegi
8-Gravel

Sure

Mirror_Part_Test is the Master including GD&T elements.

Ziegi_2-1657711199716.png

Part0005.part is the mirrored part (created using Mirror Component in an assembly).

Ziegi_3-1657711232355.png

Note: No annotations can be shown for the selected objects in the dialog window when the part0005.prt or feature Mirrored Bodies id 1 is selected.

Using annotation features does not change the situation. It doesn't get mirrored. Tested with the position tolerance,

Creo data is attached (Version 7.0.8.0)

Mfridman
16-Pearl

Thanks @Ziegi 

Can you please try creating the mirrored component with the option "Geometry with features" checked

Mfridman_0-1657715613381.png

If you will choose this option, all of the original annotations will be created on the new mirrored part. you can then choose to assign them to the top assembly or open it in its own window and observe that they are all shown there already

Here is how it looks from the assembly (I have assigned the same annotations from both of the components to the assembly combination state):

Mfridman_1-1657715842848.png

This allows you to leverage any existing annotations that came from the original model and add a few of your own

Thanks, Michael

Ziegi
8-Gravel

I agree that this solves the issue of annotations, but unfortunately one looses the geometry dependency. Which I think is worse, than having to add the annotations a 2nd time in the mirrored component.

Any further ideas or hints?

Mfridman
16-Pearl

Yes I agree, seems like in order to support both, there is a need for enhancing this mirror feature, so that the geometry dependent option would also include the annotation propagation option that you get for a regular merge/add bodies feature:

Mfridman_0-1657717624253.png

Ziegi
8-Gravel

@Mfridman 

Indeed such a enhancement would be needed. I hope you can push that into Creo soon 🙂

There is already a Creo Parametric Idea: Creating Mirror of a part in Creo 7.0

at all readers: Please vote for it!

Top Tags