cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Modifying flanges from sheetmetal conversion

kspabs
7-Bedrock

Modifying flanges from sheetmetal conversion

I'm relatively new to Creo and just started working with sheetmetal with it and can't seem to find a efficient work flow. When making my base surface, then individually adding flanges to adjacent edges I can't figure out how to model the edge rips how I would like or modify the corner reliefs.

What I do find I really like is taking a shell of my part and using the Conversion tool to convert it into a sheet metal part, as it gives me a good control over the two aforementioned parameters. The one issue I can't seem to figure out is how to modify the flanges when I do this. I can't make cuts to the flange along the bend edge without the part retaining a bend where I removed the material.

Does anyone have any advice? Is there a way to add edge flanges to flat sheet in relation to each other so I have better control over the edge rips and corner reliefs? Is it possible to modify Conversion flanges so I can adjust the length parallel to the bend edge?

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:kspabs)

I think it would be helpful if you would include a screenshot or 2 of what is happening and include a screenshot of the model tree so we can see how you got where you are. 

Hi, 

While in sheetmetal mode adding a flange, you can hold shift and select additional adjacent edges. This will continue the flange on the other edges. The flanges will controlled together in the same feature.

1. Select the flange tool
  2. Select the first edge
  3. Hold shift and select a second, adjacent edge

I hope this helps!

Ty

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Tdaugherty)

Do they have to be adjacent? On a rectangle, can it be the opposite, same length surface?

I've attached a quick video where I create a box with the flange tool while holding the shift key. There are quicker ways to go about doing this but basically, hold shift and select adjacent edges. If you select a non-adjacent edge, a flange will be created on the adjacent edge and the non-adjacent edge. It will make a three-sided box.

If you need to make flanges one opposite ends of a part (like a U shape), I normally make a single flange or flat on one side first. Afterwards, you can create another feature and sketch it's length so that it's based on the first feature, or you can mirror the feature. There's probably tons of other ways to get the same result as well. 

Ty

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Tdaugherty)

Thanks. I was looking to see if there was an easier way to do the opposite side, but apparently not.

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:kspabs)

@kspabs :  I can't make cuts to the flange along the bend edge without the part retaining a bend where I removed the material.

Are you looking for something like this:

I cut up to the bend line and added a 0 degree flange out to the outer wall.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags