cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Multi-Sheet Drawing Template - possible?

ColinWriggleswo
1-Newbie

Multi-Sheet Drawing Template - possible?

Is it in any way possible to automatically create a multiple sheet drawing where each of the sheets has a different pre-defined format?

The reason for this somewhat obscure question is that when generating a drawing pack for an Assembly our company processes have sheet 1 as the general assembly drawing (selected from A3, A2, A1 and A0), Sheet 2 is the Items List which is A4 Landscape and sheet 3 in the drawings list which is A4 portrait.

Currently I create the drawing, selecting the GA drawing size and then add the other sheets manually and then go in and change the page setup to match the required formats. I'm currently documenting a product with about 100 assemblies and it would save so much time if I could automate this as the information on the IL and DL is in general automatically generated from data taken from the model.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Not obscure at all. Often, corporate formats use truncated title blocks for subsequent sheets as well as revision blocks being omitted.

Changing sheet sizes for subsequent sheets, however has always been taboo. But I agree, it would be nice to make a "complete" drawing set that may include a completely different document.

Yep, totally possible.

A "template" is literally just a drawing you've pre-created and saved as a convenient starting point for future drawings. In fact ANY drawing can become a template. Take a file you've already worked on and remove all the model information (leaving the unique first, second, and third sheets intact.

This "blank" drawing can now be used as a convenient starting point for any other drawing you wish to create. To verify, I just took my standard template drawing, which has quite a few bells and whistles, and added a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sheet. Each sheet is a different size with a different format. I saved the file. next, I went through the steps to create a new drawing from a simple assembly. I used my "new template" and it worked perfectly. I had 4 sheets with 4 different sizes and 4 different formats... all ready to use.

FYI, when adding a new, 5th sheet, it seems to take the size and format of the original first sheet. Not that this is bad... just letting you know.

Thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags