cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Multiple similar routings of the same and similar harnesses.

jroeber
4-Participant

Multiple similar routings of the same and similar harnesses.

I have a harness that is used in several applications. 95% of it is shaped exactly the same between the applications.  I am wondering about a technique such that in the future, when a portion of the common routing changes, I can change it in one place, and all of the other applications(derivatives) will automatically update their routing, upon a regeneration.

I am thinking I could make several skeletons, with one skeleton containing datum points depicting the commonly routed locations.  The other skeletons would be unique to their shape.   Then use this common skeleton in all of the derivatives of this harness for routing, along with the appropriate unique skeletons.

Then when I update the points in the common skeleton, all derivative harnesses should update shape upon regeneration.

I think this is a workable solution, I am wondering if there is something better?  Like by "Sharing" a network, or creating Family Table of harnesses.  I can not figure out how either of those are used practically.   I also don't like the extra step of creating the datum points for reference within the skeleton.

1 REPLY 1
fmohr
5-Regular Member
(To:jroeber)

Jeff,

There is functionality in Creo to create a family table of harness instances.  It was presented at the PTC conference many years ago.  Although I have never used it, because at the time the PDM tool the company I worked for did not recognize family tables of harnesses.  What I have have done saved a copy of the original harness and renamed it with the same part number_config2 , _config3, _config*.  It's not as clean this way especially if the "master" harness ever changes, but it's what I had to do.

I hope this helps.

Frank

Top Tags