cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

NVIDIA Quadro vs GTX in 2022

WS_10193292
4-Participant

NVIDIA Quadro vs GTX in 2022

PTC Creo has recommend using primarily NVIDIA Quadro graphics cards for years. My understanding is that this is due to OpenGL support and driver optimization. Is this still true in 2022? It seems that almost all graphics cards “certified” by PTC are still Quadro:

https://prodart.pl/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ptc_creo_hardware_notes.pdf

For example, would it be better to buy a Quadro P4000 as opposed to a GeForce GTX 3070? The 3070 is significantly better on paper (and less expensive).

https://technical.city/en/video/Quadro-P4000-vs-GeForce-RTX-3070

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @WS_10193292 

GeForce GTX 3070 is not supported. Using it will cause issues when using Creo Simulation Live as documented in article 349565.

We suggest therefore the NVIDIA Quadro P4000 one from a high level perspective. But for a more accurate answer on this kind of questions, access Platform Support page, browse the section "By Partner", and then choose the good manufacturer for the good Creo version you're interested in. You'll see the graphic cards supported for each supported model of the hardware manufacturer. 

Regards,

Serge

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Hello @WS_10193292 

GeForce GTX 3070 is not supported. Using it will cause issues when using Creo Simulation Live as documented in article 349565.

We suggest therefore the NVIDIA Quadro P4000 one from a high level perspective. But for a more accurate answer on this kind of questions, access Platform Support page, browse the section "By Partner", and then choose the good manufacturer for the good Creo version you're interested in. You'll see the graphic cards supported for each supported model of the hardware manufacturer. 

Regards,

Serge

Thanks for the response!

If I do not plan on using Creo Simulation Live, will I still have issues with the GTX 3070? If so, why? Is it an OpenGL issue, driver optimization, or something else? It is not clear to me since on paper the GTX 3070 should theoretically outperform the Quadro P4000.

Hello @WS_10193292 

Please consider that the question related to unsupported materials is not really if they will work or not.

From a technical perspective, we have no material in PTC for unsupported configurations. In other words, even though I really think this card will work (outside Creo Simulation Live),  we cannot officially commit on this. Also, please consider that if a graphic card is not supported (like this one), this means that if you face issues and report cases to PTC Technical Support, and if the given issue is not reproducible in a supported scope, it won't be eligible to be raised to R&D attention via a SPR (because out of current supported scope).

That being said, if you would like to navigate in unsupported area, you may like creosite.com where benchmark results are mantained by users, based on configuration (even unsupported ones) they are using. Unfortuantely however, if I can see lot of GTX cards tested, I do not see any result related to the GTX 3070.

If other users in PTC Community are using a GTX 3070 with Creo parametric, we encourage you to share your experience in this post.

Regards,

Serge

Well Nvidia RTX A3000 IS SUPPORTED, and Creo Simulation Live doesn't work anyway.

Personally I am very angry about it. I've just bought Dell Precision 7650 with this GPU hoping Creo will work like hell, and SUPRISE!

Hello @pjablonski 

Thanks to have shared your experience with us. We're very sorry that you still faces issue i the usage attempt of Creo Simulation Live.

Please confirm first that you are speaking about DELL Presision 7560 (not 7650 which does not seem to exist), and please tell us which version of Creo Parametric you're curretnyl working with. For instance, if it's Creo Parametric 8.0, and OS is Windows 10, we confirm support of this hardware, because listed in page 2 of PTC Creo 8.0 Hardware Support – Dell Document (just verfy that your driver is more recent than the one we suggest in this page, i.e. more recent than 462.59).

For further technical information, refer also to of What are the graphics card requirements? section of Frequently Asked Questions about Creo Simulation Live Document.

If issue persists after eventual driver update process, what you're currently facing will deserve a deeper investigation to try pursuying our efforts to help you further. If so, we suggest you to open a case to PTC Technical Support with following information in notes of case attachments upon case creation process:

• DXDIAG information of the impacted machine
  • Clear symptoms (clarify what you mean when you say "Creo Simulation Live doesn't work" ... does it mean you have no result? that you have a crash? that you have errors? ...)

Thanks again for your understanding and patience. We're very sorry for this bad experience you're facing, and would like to help you further.

Regards,

Serge

Hello

Of course i'm speaking about DELL 7560 my mistake. Actually i think that the OS version and my Creo compilation is not important because this case is alredy reported and is accesed by Article - CS349565 and there no plans to fix it.
I'v ordered my new computer befor this case was reveal and i'm a little sad about it

Thank you for your interest and willingness to help but nothing can be done

Regards

PeterJ

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:sacquarone)

@sacquarone,

Something seems very wrong with CS349565.  The NVIDIA RTX A3000 *IS* listed as supported with multiple approved systems in the official PTC Creo 8.0 Hardware Support - Dell document.  If PTC says the Dell Precision 7560 with the RTX A3000 is fully supported, how can they turn around and say, 'sorry, your hardware isn't certified'?  There is no requirement from PTC that people only run 'Certified' hardware, nor does PTC claim (as far as I know) that their software is only guaranteed to run properly on 'Certified' hardware. The software should continue to run correctly on 'Supported' hardware, or the 'Supported' designation is worthless.

TomU_0-1648817016707.png

http://support.ptc.com/partners/hardware/current/status.htm

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:TomU)

I agree completely. The Article mostly refers to an Nvidia GeForce graphics card but somehow lumps the RTX A3000 in there also.

And also states "Before check the hardware via hardware checker , the machine should be a PTC Creo Parametric certified machine"

If the machine is "fully certified", @pjablonski  needs to file a support ticket to have the issue resolved.

pjablonski_0-1648818298907.png

should work fine, but....

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:pjablonski)

Open a tech support case with PTC! The article is wrong. 

Hello @TomU , @StephenW and @pjablonski ,

Thanks to have raised my attention on this.

I agree that article 349565 should be updated to mention only GeForce GTX 3070, and not NVIDIA RTX A3000. I had an internal action on this to notify in TS the person who wrote it, in order to ideally improve this article in the next future and prevent further confusion (could do it by myself, but may miss some important information on what leaded this article to be documpented in this way).

For the issue you have with current NVIDIA RTX A3000, I reach the limit of the help I can provide while being in the External Community Channel. If you need further investigation on this, while having a machine with this graphic card ready for tests (because TS and/or R&D will probably suggest some), my advice is to open a new case to PTC Technical Support, in order to ensure tracking process till defeinitive statement from PTC Teams.

Regards,

Serge

Hello All
So, I'v open the case last friday as some of you advice and there is some solution.
Take look at this article: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS353528

It seems to work.
I have try this on Creo 8.0.3.0 and ti work fine. It is little pity it does not work on Creo 7 but you can't have everything as they say. 😉

Regards
Piotr

Hello @pjablonski 

Thanks a lot to have shared this good news related to successful usage of  CSL with NVIDIA RTX A3000  / DELL Precision 7560 under Creo 8.0 with us. Just for info, we recently updated as promised article 349565 (previously discussed in this post) to mention that the "currently not supported" statement applies only to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti graphic card (and not NVIDIA RTX A3000).

Regards,

Serge

Top Tags