cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Nest smoke alarm: How to create the "fibonacci-like" hole-pattern

ptc-4890452
1-Newbie

Nest smoke alarm: How to create the "fibonacci-like" hole-pattern

I just came across this Nest smoke alarm, and got curious about the pattern on the front: https://nest.com/blog/2013/10/08/meet-the-nest-protect-smoke-and-co-alarm/

Is it possible to somehow through one or more pattern features to create something like on the attached picture? I can't crack it myself. Help is appreciated

https://d2pupd7a6asjpt.cloudfront.net/blog/images/2013-10-08/nest_protect_smoke_co_alarm.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Interesting patterns came up when trying to do this without the reference. For the most part, I got the jest of how to make sure it could be mirrored. I used the arc to get a good pattern and the linear pattern with a "twist" for hole sizing and extrusion.

Full version of Creo 2.0 attached (minus the underlay image so it doesn't mess anyone up).

ID_Grill_sketch_copy.PNG

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43

This can be done with a sketch and patterned.

It looks like it follows a simple arc increasing diameters.

You can just 2 guide arcs and make the holes tangent.

Ah, I see.
My mind was stuck on the fill pattern, but I can see how it is possible with a sketch and a pattern around the center axis. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

-----------------

Quick and dirty test:

It needs some adjustment to look more like the pattern on the nest, but it's definitly possible. Thanks for the help.

fibo_pattern.JPG

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-4890452)

Maybe:

pattern1:Arc with holes increasing in size as they go outward

pattern2:revolve pattern 1

you could create that in less than 5 minutes with grasshopper3D

heres a similar example done in it.http://bit.ly/1kfaVgv

Isn't it basically offset circles from the corners of a square with points on the intersections?

Its not fibronacci... more like spirograph with control of a common web thickness.

It wouldn't be hard to duplicate by using the image as an underlay and finding the right guide arcs.

It is a very nice industrial design application.

Esben, looking at yours, it is "drifting"? I was thinking you need to look at the mirror to see if it overlays correctly in both directions. I haven't tried it yet but I may give it a shot just for fun.

Here's a more examples in Grasshopper with a grab of how you would do it in there. You might be able to look at the nodes and extract an idea of how to do it. I could give you more info if you have any questions, I'd give a detailed response now, but I don't have time.

http://bit.ly/1bKgPH9

http://bit.ly/1kfjuId

Here is a great reference with interactive examples. Probably your best bet.

http://bit.ly/1kfjHLp

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Agreed. I'm actually looking for a Spirograph for my daughter for X-mas.

Awesome gift idea, Frank! Really cool to see they're still available in stores.

The Nest thermostats and alarm systems actually came up in one of our meetings last week, fun coincidence this gang would bring it up here in PTC Community.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ryankelley)

Except for price. I just put 7 new smoke detectors in my house. Unless these have remote modules or something I didn't see. $130 x 7 is fairly expensive for smokes.

Oh, I meant the Spirograph, great value at $14.99 for a full set at your local Target.

Agreed Matt. The Nest was brought up in the context of a conversation about the "internet of things" (further reading if you're intetrested), where we're seeing a big shift toward internet-connected home products (think thermostats, smart TVs, and small appliances). Nest is on the bleeding edge of this trend, so hopefully the price will come down over time to the point where your next purchase decision won't be prohibited by cost.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

OH sorry, mis-read.

You can still buy those? My kids would love that, too.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Inoram)

You sure there's not an app for that?

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Dale Rosema wrote:

You sure there's not an app for that?

I was thinking that.

And then I looked.

Appears to be a bunch of them.

This is what I came up with so far. The mirror overaly is not resolved yet but I have an idea. One of the difficulties is the 84/360. But that is how it would be resolved. In this case, I just snuck up on it by checking a mirror circle in the sketch. You should be able to constrain it to be perfect.

As for constant webbing and such, it will require significant sketch control but nothing that can't be done.

ID_Grill_sketch.PNG

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

AH, you were posting at the same time Antonius. I think it's even easier, though.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

At least it is simpler than the golf ball was

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

When I saw this I first agreed with basically what Antonius and Davor said. But then I went to Google images and found a larger picture, and stared at that some more. And now I realize it's even simpler. no arcs, no nothing like that.

I will sketch on it a bit, and show what I think it is, in a little while.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

This pair?

ID_Grill_sketch_pair.PNG

The arc actually helps this in some respects but yes, these are the two key elements.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

yeah, to me, that's it, that's the whole feature. The rest is like a semi-optical illusion.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

I went through the "great circles" for each of the hole series and they are not expanding at a specific rate. On a graph, they actually curve. In my sample from 6 to 7 back to 6.5. The photography is part of the distortion, but it may not be linear either. That "true circle" effect is done purposefully. That is why that inner pattern, the 1st one seems "odd".

This is what a true linear interpretation looks like and the constant arc disappears.

ID_Grill_sketch_linear.PNG

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

This is the other picture I found.

nest1.jpg

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

nest2.JPG

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

nest3.JPG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Kewl!

Interesting patterns came up when trying to do this without the reference. For the most part, I got the jest of how to make sure it could be mirrored. I used the arc to get a good pattern and the linear pattern with a "twist" for hole sizing and extrusion.

Full version of Creo 2.0 attached (minus the underlay image so it doesn't mess anyone up).

ID_Grill_sketch_copy.PNG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Nice!

This has quickly become my favorite discussion in the Creo community since starting at PTC. Really impressive work, guys.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Pshaw, you shoulda see Antonius's golf ball!

Top Tags