cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Nest smoke alarm: How to create the "fibonacci-like" hole-pattern

ptc-4890452
1-Newbie

Nest smoke alarm: How to create the "fibonacci-like" hole-pattern

I just came across this Nest smoke alarm, and got curious about the pattern on the front: https://nest.com/blog/2013/10/08/meet-the-nest-protect-smoke-and-co-alarm/

Is it possible to somehow through one or more pattern features to create something like on the attached picture? I can't crack it myself. Help is appreciated

https://d2pupd7a6asjpt.cloudfront.net/blog/images/2013-10-08/nest_protect_smoke_co_alarm.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
43 REPLIES 43

And Ryan... just to be sure - some of us need to get a real life

This is a pattern from scratch. Having tried all the clever things, I opted to go back to the curve template as posted before. It really does twist in your mind from one solution to the next. I have to hand it to the ID guys. They are a different breed!

I don't know what this is, but its cool! Some kind of round hole in a square peg!

Custom_PTC_style_grill_II.PNG

Custom_PTC_style_grill_III.PNG

...and this pattern is "60x" so it lends itself to divisions other than 4.

Custom_PTC_style_grill_IV.PNG

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Looks cool Antonius!

Attaching my model so people can see how I setup the extrude that got patterned because I did it a little different.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Inoram)

Intersting solution to determine the offset between pairs, Matt.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Nice!

Thank you for your input!
I'm always amazed by your skills and enthusiasm.

Whenever I have a question, you guys manage to give me a quick and detailed answer that I can learn from.

In this case I ended up using the method Matt came up with, but it's always interesting to see how the same result can be achieved in different ways.

The PTC Community rocks!

nest_pattern+copy.jpg

Nice picture, Esben. Is that a focus effect or is that a SLA part?

Thanks.

It is quick render, that I did with KeyShot.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-4890452)

Looks cool. I looked up KeyShot because I never heard of it. I was hoping for a free version, but there does not appear to be one. I used to render in POV-RAY back in the day. Back when it took hours and hours, today probably takes seconds on modern computers.

Thanks.

Not exactly seconds, but it's a matter of minutes. I think this one was in the oven for 20 minuttes. The depth of field takes a lot of time to render until it's not too grainy.

Very cool render, Esben. Love the Community kudos.

Thanks.

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-4890452)

Cool focus effect Esben.

If I focus on one hole whole pattern seems like expanding...or maybe I had too much coffie.

Yeah, I see it too! ... or maybe I had too much coffee as well

Fun (unrelated) update to this discussion: Google just reportedly acquired Nest Labs for $3.2 billion in cash.

Top Tags