cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Non cosmetic threads for Intelligent Fastener

Srimaya
4-Participant

Non cosmetic threads for Intelligent Fastener

I have been playing around with Intelligent Fastener and was wondering if there is any way of adding the fasteners but with real features rather than cosmetic features for threads and such.

3 REPLIES 3
Pettersson
13-Aquamarine
(To:Srimaya)

I think you should be able to use your own parts with IFX, so you should be able to make them with geometric threads. You might need the license for the full version, though.

There are several points about this question.

First, unless you are using additive manufacturing you really don't want to have real threads modeled in most cases. They are very complex geometry and can really slow down regenerations without much real payoff. Even in the case where you are using additive manufacturing there can be times where the quality of the threads is bad enough that you would want to tap the threads in a secondary operation and/or use inserts.

Second, to the point of having the full version, we can use our own FASTENERS but the holes created use the standard Creo functionality. You would need it to be able to use a UDF for the holes and not the standard hole features.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Srimaya)

You MUST purchase the full version in order to make any modifications to IFX hardware.

We looked at it but decided building family tables for hardware was faster and cheaper and we can use our own part numbers and part descriptions.

I do not model threads for the reasons given. They slow down everything in a complex assembly.

Top Tags