cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Ok, so, layers are a problem in creo assemblies....

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Ok, so, layers are a problem in creo assemblies....

Alright, I have an assembly where I'm referencing a skeleton model for surfaces, curves, etc., that are being used in multiple models. Problem is, that in the assembly, I have ZERO control of the skeleton layers. So, I can't hide or unhide the references I NEED without exiting the assembly, and restarting it every time I need to manipulate the visibility. Funny, it works a lot better in WF4.

Anyone else notice issues like this?

I'm pissed. I KNEW I should have done this in WF4..........

10 REPLIES 10

Hi Frank,
can you be a little more precise?

I tried a few things (creo 2.0 this is) without understanding your problem:
top level assy active -> displaying the SKEL layers only in layer tree -> hiding and showing works fine

sub level assy active -> displaying the SKEL layers only in layer tree -> hiding and showing works fine

part active -> displaying the SKEL layers only in layer tree -> hiding and showing works fine

top level assy active -> displaying all layers in layer tree -> hiding and showing SKEL layers works fine

sub level assy active -> displaying all layers -> hiding and showing SKEL layers works fine

part active -> displaying all layers -> hiding and showing SKEL layers works fine

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:Constantin)

'Morning Constantine.

For reference, I'm on creo elements/pro 5.0, M080.

Ok, I have a skeleton model, where I imported some STEP geometry I made from a couple other models. I've had issues with layers using inheritance features before, so I thought I'd try something different. So, I have these 4 different imported geometry features in my skeleton, on 4 different layers so I can turn them off independently. So, in WF4 the layers work, although the layers at the assembly layer have the occasional hiccup when hiding and unhiding layers. In creo, they flat don't work at all. I try and unhide layers in the skeleton at the assrembly level, and the "unhide" is greyed out and changing the layers at the skeleton model level does nothing even if I regen, or redraw, nothing. What I have to do is get completely out of the assembly, erase not displayed, and then change the layers in the skeleton model, then open the assembly again. My "Pro/WORKAROUND" is to unhide ALL the layers at the skeleton level, then open the assembly, and then "hide" the features in the model tree. Very tedious and time wasting.

I'm not a happy camper.

Hi,

I have the same problem, but with Creo2 M060. No control over layers, especially skeleton layers. Actually, not even hide and unhide of components is working. I have assemblies where I just cannot hide the skeleton because 1.) hiding the associated layer - layer is marked as hidden, but skeleton still shown... and 2.) hiding the skeleton component itself - component marked as hidden, but skeleton is still shown...

Anyone seen a solution or workaround to this?

Bjørnar

rburgess-2
14-Alexandrite
(To:Patriot_1776)

I have this issue also in Creo Parametric 4.0 M040. At times, I have to enter modification mode to force the skeleton to be visible. Is there anyone @ PTC listening?

Funny, that happened to me in Creo 5.0 this past weekend. Had an assembly and skeleton open, skeleton was active. Switched to assembly window to save, and when I came back to skeleton, datums were visible but not geometry. All layers were visible and nothing was hidden in the Model Tree. 

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com
rburgess-2
14-Alexandrite
(To:DaveMartin)

Dave,

Hardly funny when it affects productivity. This is an escalating problem for me. Is this an open issue at PTC?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rburgess-2)

If you need action from PTC, this needs to be a tech support ticket instead of a community question. 

https://support.ptc.com/apps/case_logger_viewer/cs/auth/ssl/log

Don't take offense. I clearly didn't mean that I'm laughing at you. I meant funny as in what a coincidence, something similar happened to me as well.

I have an open issue with PTC regarding these managing visibility issues in Creo Parametric 4.0 and 5.0. Do you? If not, create a ticket. It makes it easier to convince PTC to act on something when multiple people report the problem. 

rburgess-2
14-Alexandrite
(To:DaveMartin)

No offense taken.. Smiley LOL I was asking about the issue status after looking at the date on the original post. If it will help, I'll submit one also. Don't sweat the small stuff...

Have a great holiday!

It will help. I first opened my issue with my PTC Tech Support rep back in April. Back then, one of the responses I got from PTC was that they weren't hearing this from other customers. I have had multiple calls with PTC, including with program managers regarding managing visibility, which I need to restart (we delayed our upgrade). But it would help me press my case if others would file tickets and engage with their reps on these issues, rather than just complain into the ether.

The squeaky wheel gets greased. If you're not filing tickets, PTC thinks you're happy.

Top Tags