cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Part Location In Relation To Assembly?

ptc-1787684
1-Newbie

Part Location In Relation To Assembly?

I've created a number of assemblies with shared parts. So I have a folder for each assembly (containts ProE assembly, exported STLs, rendering scenes etc.). The setup is this format: /PART1.PRT /ASSEMBLY1/ASSEMBLY1.ASM The problem with this is that whenever I open an assembly I have to manually relocate every part by going back a directory. Is there a way to tell Pro/E the relative location of a part? I tried using Tools/Program and editing the design so for each part from this:
4dee2cac1a
to this:
4dee2cac1a
But that didn't work. Does anyone know a way of achieving this? It's just some of my assemblies are quite advanced and so just opening the file is taking a while because you have to locate so many parts. Thanks for your time, Kind Regards, Scott
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

"Is there a way to tell Pro/E the relative location of a part?� Have you tried using the search.pro method? It’s pretty simple and I use it for all my STD library parts like bolts, nuts, washers.... etc. All you do is in the config.pro setup where your search.pro file is located; usually I just create it in the directory where pro/E starts from. In the Search.pro file enter the location for where the parts are that you want Pro/E to locate. Just be careful, Pro/E does not like spaces or fun characters. You only need to enter the pathname for the parts location. I've attached a basic search.pro that might give you an Idea of what to do. I renamed the file to an *.txt so that you can view it in note pad, but Pro/E needs it in a *.pro format.

Hey Hendrik, Worked perfectly! Brilliant! Thank you for your time and effort. Kind Regards, Scott

This kind of thing should be better documented, or perhaps included more in training. I'm so used to taking our search.pro for granted that it scares me that people are trying to use Pro/E without one! A couple more search.pro tips: - Once you've got it set up, you can open any part, drawing, etc. just by typing its name ("widget.prt") into the File/Open dialogue, and pressing OK. - Very long search.pro can slow down opening of assemblies and creation of new files. Only have directories you need, and list the most commonly used ones (i.e. where the file is most likely to be found) at the top. HTH!
Top Tags