cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Pins modeled in connectors

kermitstang86
9-Granite

Pins modeled in connectors

We are working to grow our library for connectors for cabling.

I have one lead saying that they only want one entry point, and therefore no pin locations modeled.  This means that on their drawings, they will have to apply a symbol to capture the pin configuration.  This philosophy also would preclude any wire-to-pin analysis, or fanning of the wires to their location, would it not?

I have another lead that wants the pin configurations, so that all of the views are parametric, and that the advanced wire termination can be done.

My LEANING, as a primarily mechanical/non-electrical is that I would want this as parametric and accurate as possible, as long as it doesn't impede next higher assemblies in their regen, or performance.

Does anyone have any insight I can use to help make a sound determination?

Mike Emerson
13 Yrs.
NAPTCRUG President
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mike,

My recommendation would be to setup connector models to have the ability for both pin-to-pin and connector-to-connector routing. So long as whoever is setting it up doesn't mind adding individual entry ports at each pin in addition to the single "Entry" coordinate system, it's good to have the option to do both down the road.

I prefer pin-to-pin connectivity in my models for more accurate line lengths and more metadata rich models - you can add terminal information at each pin in the form of parameters. However, it comes down to what your manufacturing deliverables are. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

John Piotrowski, Co-Founder & Product Manager
CadActive Technologies - www.cadactive.com

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi Mike,

My recommendation would be to setup connector models to have the ability for both pin-to-pin and connector-to-connector routing. So long as whoever is setting it up doesn't mind adding individual entry ports at each pin in addition to the single "Entry" coordinate system, it's good to have the option to do both down the road.

I prefer pin-to-pin connectivity in my models for more accurate line lengths and more metadata rich models - you can add terminal information at each pin in the form of parameters. However, it comes down to what your manufacturing deliverables are. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

John Piotrowski, Co-Founder & Product Manager
CadActive Technologies - www.cadactive.com
Top Tags