cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Possible to chg default weld syms in STD & DWG modes?

DanMcCaherty
1-Newbie

Possible to chg default weld syms in STD & DWG modes?

I'm using Wildfire 5. When I create a weld feature in Standard 3D (part or assembly) mode, an annotation gets generated automatically from that feature. If I have an associated 2D drawing file, that symbol also appears when I show the weld symbols on the drawing.

My question: Has anyone else out there successfully altered the weld symbols so that when you create a weld feature, the symbols that appear in both 3D and 2D modes look like you want, not like the default out-of-the-box symbols?

Our company (like many others) has an internal standard for our weld symbols that is similar to the ANSI-AWS set that comes with Pro/E, but slightly different. Years ago, we made our own library of custom weld symbols that comply with our internal standard, and we have used this library in drawings, but these symbols are totally independent of weld features, which until now has been fine. Now we want to start using weld features and we would like to be able to drive the appearance of the weld symbols directly from these weld features so they comply with our standards in both 3D and 2D modes.

2 REPLIES 2

The welding symbols can be edited if they are placed as a regular symbol. However, if the drawing has welding symbols that are automatically created by the system, the information is taken from the welding routes in the model and the symbol format is taken from the system path #Pro/ENGINEER directory/symbols/library_syms/weldsymlib/iso_weld. The only way to modify these symbols is to replace the original symbol definition in the system directory with a customized version. so please go to #Insert > #Drawing Symbol > #Custom, within the 'General' tab select #Browse and navigate to the Weld Symbol Directory. Once the desired symbol has been selected, customized the symbol as desired and then saved it to the #Pro/ENGINEER directory/symbols/library_syms/weldsymlib/iso_weld. so to update the symbol definition in a drawing, all instances first have to be erased, and then when showing the symbols again, the new symbol definition will be used.
and about include a weld user defined parameter in a redefined weld symbol
I did lots of testing on this issue but never succeded in retrieving a weld user defined parameter with different name of original ones while modifying a weld symbol. Actually restriction below blocks me in reporting a SPR top development as functionnality is not as per specs.
When you are redefining weld symbols, the following restrictions apply:
• All of the groups that existed in the original definition must remain in the new definition. You cannot add new groups or change the names of existing ones.
• If you add new variable text or change the name of an existing piece of variable text, the new name must be the same as that of an existing variable text in the original.
If such functionnality is required, you may wish to report an enhancement requets to our marketing at address below :
https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/misc/PTC_Enhancement_Process.jsp

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

@VladimirPalffy wrote:

so to update the symbol definition in a drawing, all instances first have to be erased, and then when showing the symbols again, the new symbol definition will be used.

I cannot figure out how to remove the old weld symbol from my assembly/drawing. I want to make changes, but I cannot get the symbols to update without creating a new model. Can you tell me step-by-step what I need to do?

Top Tags