cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Pro-E lib BOM question on ASM drawings

ptc-726111
1-Newbie

Pro-E lib BOM question on ASM drawings

Hello,

I have a question how others create production assembly drawings using components from a Pro-E library. The parts in the Pro-E library will not match the the company part numbering scheme, so how do you create your assembly drawings with a BOM table when using fasteners from the Pro-E library (ex: MXF0900.prt)?

In attempting to resolve this problem, I have added a part number next to the BOM balloon (see attached) that shows p/n 97-15101-00, but Pro-E sees it as a library fastener with a different file name / part number in the actual assembly. Not changing the library component part number is convenient so that if another fastener size is selected (M5 to M6, or different length) it can be easily changed in the assembly. However, one of the engineers express concern about the Pro-E lib fastener in the BOM table and assembly model tree was not matching the company assigned part number.

An option is to do a "Save As" and break the link giving the fastener the company assigned part number. This is not so bad when downloading CAD models (example: compression springs, grommets, etc.) for other vendors that are not part of the standard Pro-E library. So my question is how have others addressed similar situations, and can you provide and Pros & Cons to the method you are using. What would you do in this situation? The solution would need to apply to other CAD systems such as SolidWorks which uses a Toolbox of library fasteners.

Chris

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ptc-726111)

Rename the items to have your company numbers and description and regenerate the family tables in the Pro/E library BEFORE loading the library into your PDM system.

The library files haven't changed in years and I don't see PTC putting any effort into updating them anytime soon.

If you have already been using the library and have them in your PDM system, then you have a long road ahead in renaming them, but I would still do it.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

I should have mentioned that the company I am working for as a contractor on this project is not currently using a PDM system, and uses multi-CAD systems. One of the reasons I was reluctant to rename the Pro/E library with company part numbers is it becomes more difficult to distinguish internally manufactured parts from vendor components (shoulder bolts, SHCS, o-rings, etc.) in both the assembly model tree and drawing.

Ben, so are you saying that the CREO uses the same Pro/Library that has been around since the beginning of Pro-E Wildfire? Also, does anyone else attach an internal part number as a note to a BOM balloon?

In Reply to Ben Loosli:

Rename the items to have your company numbers and description and regenerate the family tables in the Pro/E library BEFORE loading the library into your PDM system.

The library files haven't changed in years and I don't see PTC putting any effort into updating them anytime soon.

If you have already been using the library and have them in your PDM system, then you have a long road ahead in renaming them, but I would still do it.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

Hi Chris,
So long as you have write access to those library parts (at least
indirectly) then I think you could add a parameter to the Family Tabled
Library part to include your company part number and add this as a column
in the FT. Then you should be able to call out the parameter with the
correct value on your drawing.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

*Brent Drysdale*
*Senior Design Engineer*
Tait Communications

I received several helpful responses on this issue. Some suggested adding another column to the BOM table using an additional parameter to reference the company part number. Below is an example of how this process was resolved at another company by renaming the fasteners where a PDM system was not being used.

On this project, I remembered our fastener supplier is providing drawings (PDF files) for every fastener being used. As the master model is in Pro-E, and some sub-assemblies were imported into the master model from SolidWorks & Catia, I think I will request the STEP files of these fasteners (company part number already assigned) then import them into Pro-E replacing the existing fasterners. The other individual working on this project in Pro-E can do the same so we will not overwrite each others work. This fasteners can also be imported into the SolidWorks subassemblies before the subassembly is imported back into Pro-E as the drawings of the SolidWorks subassemblies are created in SolidWorks. Ideally, it would all be in one CAD system, but I need to make minor adjustments to the SolidWorks subassemblies by changing dimensions and do not have time to remodel eveything in Pro-E.

Secondly, the Pro-E or SolidWorks library files do not always exactly match the speciality fasterners we are using. When building the prototype, I was more concerned that I had the correct generic size & length so the tapped holes, c'sinks, and c'bores where correct in the part models. For production, it is probably better to use the same model across the board (Pro-E, SolidWorks, etc) on this project even though it may not be parametric as the fasteners will probably not be changing.

For future reference, has anyone even used a PDM system where eveything in the assembly was imported into PDM without the fasteners from the Pro/E library or SolidWorks toolkit? If so, how did you do exclude the fasteners and still have Pro-E retrieve them from the Pro/E library?

Chris

In Reply:

Top Tags