cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Pro/E still can't do 3D revolve?

jeffsampson
1-Newbie

Pro/E still can't do 3D revolve?

Okay, we are now up to WF4 and apparently I still can't do what I need. I have a 3D door that opens around it's hinge. I need to do a sweep of the edge of the door to ensure it clears the cabinet as it opens. The axis of the door is not co-planar to the edge of the door as the door is an odd shape and the axis is offset to the edge of the door. Why can't I pick the edges of the door and do a revolve about the axis in 3D? I would think that PTC would have figured this one out by now. Pro insists that the axis be in the plane of the sketch or edges.

Or is there a trick I have not learned yet?

Jeff
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Jeff,

Leave the door packaged then use the assembly move commands to drag the door around the axis of the hinge. You can do collision and other interference checking while you do this.

Ronald B. Grabau
ME Applications Engineer
HP - Houston

One workaround might be to use Mechanism mode to create a swept envelope.

Mike Foster
ATK

Here is how you do what you want short of doing it in assembly and positioning the door from the axis.

Copy all your exterior or the surfaces you have interest in. Paste these as a feature. Select that feature and control C. then pick past special and pick option for transform or rotate. Then when transform dialog comes up pick the axis you want to spin about then you have a drag handle with the angle.

Ron

One advantage of Ron's method is that you can save various door positions as Snapshots so you can easily return the door to specific positions at a later time. They can also be shown on a drawing without needing to use Family Tables.

This is not to be confused with a 2D Drawing Snapshot.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

You can also use the mechanism to save out a Envelope component that is super light weight and static and represents the motion envelope.

These are all much better methods than creating representing geometry features

Top Tags