cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Projecting all edges from a surface

JasonPensack
1-Newbie

Projecting all edges from a surface

Is there a way to project all edges from a surface into a sketch without having to select them all individually?

I am running Creo 3 - M010

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Get voting!

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/5155

[Edit: broken link bug rears it's head, attempted to fix...]

Have you tried the loop functionality within the project tool in sketcher? If your surface has many boundary chains, you'll need to do it multiple times to get each loop (which is what the enhancement David linked to is about).

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:dgschaefer)

There are two possibilities here. Either Jason is talking about the same situation as what the Product Idea talks about (I voted that up BTW ) or he is referring to a surface a quilt. If a quilt is made up of several surfaces then the loop functionality only picks the loop of an individual surface of the quilt. Most of the time I want the boundary of the entire quilt, not its individual surface. The ability to do that would be pretty handy.

That would be a nice feature, it would take the intent of what you are trying to do by projecting "all" edges. I think that would indeed fix the issue Jason's having.

The surface I would like to project the edges from is a copy and pasted quilt but it would be the same for a face if it worked like I envision it. The surface that I am trying to project is the floor of a pocket that has 100+ bosses protruding upwards from it of all different sizes and shapes. There are also a large number of holes and c'bores, which is why I have to copy and paste the face to create a quilt filling all holes. I would then like to create an extrude cut from this surface to remove the material around the bosses from my manufacturing workpiece. To do this using loops or selecting all edges would take me a very long time. Here is a portion of the geometry.

Capture.PNG

In the manufacturing module certain types of NC sequences automatically remove the material from the workpiece but the NC sequence that I am using for this particular feature does not.

Top Tags