cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

RE: Entry port used for autorouting

Amith_Shetty
10-Marble

RE: Entry port used for autorouting

Hello, 

I have been working on Autorouting using creo schematics and when it comes to routing in creo parametric the routing will always take place in Z-axis. But when we do for manual routing the entry ports will be considered as points even tho it is a coordinate system. So the routing will be done in any direction.

So can we expect the same thing in Autorouting using schematic XML files?

or Can we replace the coordinate system with points?

Hope You got my question.

Thank you

Amith Shetty

6 REPLIES 6

Hi There- 

Our company specializes in the Creo Schematics->Creo Parametric bridge. We would be happy to have a conversation here, if it makes sense. 

Check out our website, CadActive.com. 

Hi,

In my understanding the xml routing will always use coordinate systems. Wire goes to z-direction. We add default input coordinates to all connector components (see image). We name the entryports usually pin_1, pin_2....pin_x. I would not route manually anything. We create a schematic for even the simplest cables (with kicad).

Br, Lars

Hello, 

In the image which you have sent has the port co-ordinates outsides in terms of the Z-axis. And this is Ok when we have manual routing and even Autorouting. But when we usually do the manual routing the routing will not usually take any direction. So we can route it by taking a co-ordinate system as a point. but I want auto-routing to use the same principle. At that time there is no need for keeping the Z-axis in the direction of routing. So do we have any solution for this?

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by "routing not taking any direction"? The cable will always exit the connector in one direction.  The normal design procedure we do is

- Draw schematic (electical connection diagram, defines connectors and connections)

- Create connectors in creo with entry ports. The wire will always exit to z-direction. Your coordinate can be on the top of the connector. Connector data will contain the "Internal_len"-parameter which should tell how deep the wire goes into the connector. Our connectors also have the "Term_name"-parameter that tells which crimp to use with a specific connector.

-In creo we draw the "Network" that the wires will follow. The network can be drawn following any lines, points, or axis etc. Usually the limiting parameter is the "bend radius".

Example is a simple helical network...

Hello,

I guess you haven't got my question. To make it easy I have attached two attachments of how a coordinate system acts during Autorouting and Manual routing.

1) Autorouting is done by taking XML data from Creo Schematics. In this case, the Routing will be performed on the Z-axis of PORT_2 as shown in the figure. 

2) In Manual Routing or Normal Routing When we give the start location of the cable routing as PORT_2, it would be considered as a point. As shown in the attachment there is no particular direction. And the direction location can be added in any possible axis according to our needs.

So any possibility of getting the output of coordinate system like normal Routing in Autorouting?

Quick solution required.

Thank you,

Amith Shetty

Hi,

Ok, I may understand a little what you are asking.

I tried out the manual routing and indeed you can pick any point in space and add a wire there. There is no need for any connectors... I didn't know it was even possible...

Also in manual routing if designate the connector correctly and select the "SEL_ENTRYPRT" menu manager selection for the "form:" and "To:" boxes  then the wire will go to z-direction as in autorouting. The "add-location"-selection gives strange freedom in routing.

Unfortunately I am not able to help you with this question. I think that for autorouting (what we must use here) only allowed ENTRY_PORTs are valid coordinate systems... and then the wire automatically goes in the z-direction.  Of course you can always rotate the coordinate system to desired direction... but it is not as convenient as a point. 

Br, Lars

Top Tags