cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Re: Pack and Go (packing designs)

kamleshjoshi
15-Moonstone

Re: Pack and Go (packing designs)

As per the original thread

Dear sir @BenLoosli , 

If we have more drawings in the directory and while saving the assembly or let's say subassembly as a backup then how to figure out which drawing are utilise for the assembly.

Currenlty this method is very time taken, we are currently doing manual checkup of drawing and then do save as a backup result into invest more time.

If we have the pack and go functionality like solidworks then the process would be very easy, what say!

4 REPLIES 4

I have not used Pack and Go from Inventor in 12+ years nor have I used the Solidworks one.

Do they pick up related drawings of subcomponents that are pulled in as part of the upper level assembly/drawing?

The Creo Save-As function on a drawing will only save the drawing, its related assembly and the components in the assembly/sub-assemblies. It will not pick up and drawings associated with those sub-assemblies or detail components. I suspect that Pack&Go works similar to Save-As in what it picks up and puts into the new folder.

Dear sir,

In pack and go you can add the linked drawing even if you are doing only save a back up kind of things.

And here in Creo, we have to do manual copying of the drawing by identifying the related one.

So you have to manually add any associated drawings to the Pack&Go data set? How do you KNOW which drawings are associated to which part file? Still sounds like a very intense manual operation with a lot of trial and error on getting all of the associated drawings.

This is why we did a Save-As to separate folders for each drawing file in our project. We did not have Windchill for that project at that time. Those files have since been loaded into Windchill, so everything is now linked.

Dear sir,

In pack and go of SW and Inventor, the software it self automatically suggest the linked drawing.

every small PTC Customer who does not have any plans for the PLM. They ask this question because in PTC Creo we have one article in that PTC tell us that we have to do 2 times save a copy to make it as a "save a backup" with drawings functionality. However in this scenario there are lot of chances to renaming mistakes by end user. SO we have to use above option very carefully.

But imagine that If the assembly contains more than 50, 100, 200 drawings and some time manually copying the drawing is straight forward but again imagine that let us say we have to backup only the subassembly then I have to manually check that which drawings are need to copy.

If PTC Creo has the functionality of copying drawing in save a copy option then it would be easy to do it for Save a backup option. it saves a lot of time.

Thanks in advance.

Top Tags