cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Referring to subassembly parameters in drawing BOM

N-Pyn
13-Aquamarine

Referring to subassembly parameters in drawing BOM

Hi,

I have an assembly with some subassemblies. And each subassembly consists of some parts. All the parts in the assembly are inside the subassemblies so there are no parts on the top level of the assembly, only subassemblies.

All the subassemblies have a parameter assigned in them, "param_name".

I have a drawing of the top level assembly and would like to add a BOM table which shows only the parts and not subassemblies. And also I'd like to show the value of the "param_name" parameter of the subassembly where the part in question belongs to.

So in order to show only the parts in the BOM, I made the BOM table recursive and added a GATHERING_PART = YES parameter to each of the subassemblies. I then used the GATHERING_PART parameter to filter out the subassemblies from the BOM. So now I have only the lower level parts showing up in the BOM.

But I can't seem to figure out how I can read a parameter from a subassembly one level up in relation to the parts. Is there any way to do this?

I attached an image which I hope will help explain what I want to do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:N-Pyn)

Nope, repeat regions don't work that way.  Each row of information in the table reflects a single component and is read/calculated only for that one object.  You can't display information from the parent subassembly on the child part's row.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

I think requested functionality is not available in repeat reqions.

Martin Hanák
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Nope, repeat regions don't work that way.  Each row of information in the table reflects a single component and is read/calculated only for that one object.  You can't display information from the parent subassembly on the child part's row.

N-Pyn
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomU)

Oh **bleep**.

How about something like this?

subassy_params_2.png

Can I build the BOM table so that one column shows subassemblies (and/or parameters in those subassemblies) and the next column shows the parts inside those subassemblies?

N-Pyn
13-Aquamarine

I tried to implement this with nested regions but it ended up looking like this:

subassy_params_3.png

Is there any way to arrange this table to look like the previous picture?

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

the answer is simple ... no.

You have 2 options:

1.] create repeat region using its current functionality ... it updates automatically when you change assembly.

2.] create repeat region using its current functionality, export it to csv, load it to Excel, modify it in Excel, export it to csv, import it to Creo ... in this case you will lose automatic updates

Martin Hanák
N-Pyn
13-Aquamarine
(To:MartinHanak)

Okay, thanks. I think I'll have to scrap the whole feature then. Unless I figure out some totally different way to implement it.

Manual editing will not do because this will be a part of a CAD configurator, so I need everything to be fully automatic.

Top Tags