cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Relation driven Parameter Precision.....

mbalasubramaniy
1-Newbie

Relation driven Parameter Precision.....

i am doing a notebook driven part modeling in creo...In it i have some parameter driven by formulas and the results were been display by 3 decimal precision... is there a way to increase the presision of the output parameter....

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Precision of specific values is problematic in many instances. Sometimes it accepts a nice 13 digit number... other times only 5... and then sometimes they truncate to whatever the decimal pace settings is... and then, some dialogs truncate to 3 digits. So the question really belongs to the operation you are expecting greater precision in.

I have asked customer support about internal precision of gear ratios at one time. I got a lot of different answers but in the end, even a simple ration of 1:3 truncates to 5 digits, including the 1 before the decimal. This is ridiculous for a mechanism analysis.

If you want to get to the bottom of this, I suggest you also file a support case to understand what you are really looking at.

I have also looked at equation curves with regard to precision. In working with an involute curve, I noticed that the starting end's tangency angle would vary significantly with the setting of my part accuracy. The default would yield a starting tangency angle at 3.x degrees! This should be nearly 0 in a perfect system, but even with extreme accuracy set, the best I could accomplish is somewhere around 1/2 degree.

I love using geometry to do, or provide the math behind it. However, I find myself questioning the results time and time again. So when something seems strange, I create a support case to better understand why I am seeing what I am seeing. Cumulative error in Creo is a huge issue.

Top Tags