cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Relation keeps regen 'traffic lights' yellow

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

Relation keeps regen 'traffic lights' yellow

We've recently started paying more attention to getting our assemblies to show a green 'traffic light' for regeneration.

Usually the yellow light can be traced back to a part, and then to a relation, for no obvious reason.

Current example: a part has the relation:

WEIGHT=PRO_MP_MASS*1e6 (or 1000000; it makes no difference)

Most of our parts have pro_mp_mass*1000, but we have previously had the yellow light where a UDF has imported the old weight=mp_mass("").

In fact, with this part, if I change it to *1e3, the light goes green; change it back to 1e6 and it's yellow again. Commenting out the relation also gives a green light; when enabled, the relation verifies fine, and works to give me a weight in grams, as intended.

Why am I getting this yellow regen status when the relation is different to that in the start part?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Might have something regenerating after the relation is calculated. If you change it and regen twice does the light turn green? Where is the weight relation Initial or Post regeneration (there is a drop down below the relations window)?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Jonathan,

Jonathan Hodgson wrote:

Commenting out the relation also gives a green light; when enabled, the relation verifies fine, and works to give me a weight in grams, as intended.

Could you explain this part in more detail?

Thanks,

Kevin

When the relation is in place, it verifies OK, but then if I OK the Relations box and regenerate, I get a yellow light.

If I "comment out" the relation (programming terminology: in Pro/E this means adding /* in front of it, turning it into a comment and so effectively deleting it), then OK and regenerate, I get a green light.

Basically it's very clear that it's the presence of this exact relation that's causing the yellow light - it's just not clear why this should be so. The part has a density and volume, so PRO_MP_MASS is defined and everything works - it's just the yellow light.

Might have something regenerating after the relation is calculated. If you change it and regen twice does the light turn green? Where is the weight relation Initial or Post regeneration (there is a drop down below the relations window)?

Kevin brings up a good point....

Have you tried moving this relation to Post Regeneration? Historically mass properties are notorious for requiring the dreaded "double-regen" to turn green. This is because the calculation is taken before the model dimensions are regenerated. Thus, if something changes during that regen (a shaft becomes longer, etc), the mass properties are out of date. The yellow light appears because Pro/E is trying to warn you that your calculation may be out of date.

However, from what you're saying... if you multiply by le3, the light goes green. This makes me wonder if you need to crank your accuracy tighter to get the green light again.

There may also be a better way to get the weight parameter in grams. I need to check before I say something (and end up being wrong).

Write back and let us know if post regeneration or a tighter accuracy resolve the problem. You might also try saving the mass properties calculation as a feature and moving it into the footer. Just random thoughts... let us know if anything works!

Thanks!

-Brian

Does double regeneration fix the problem or the light on regeneration status doesn't want to go green at all?

If it goes green then the post regeneration matter might be in order to solve your problem.

Have you got warnings with yellow arrows in your relations? You can verify and close down the relation tab even if these are present.

You may have defined a condition in your relations that can't be solved for some sets of boundary conditions. Even if it's skipped for a reason that it doesn't fit into boundaries of this condition it can still cause the warning to come up.

I am actually allowed to say silly things since I am new right?

Regards,

~Jakub

OK - it turns out there was a duplicate of the original relation (weight=pro_mp_mass*1000) in the Post Regeneration relations. So, when I changed the relation in the Initial section, the two relations conflicted with each other and couldn't be resolved.

I've deleted the Initial relation, and changed the Post-Regeneration version to what I wanted.

To other comments: a double regen didn't fix it; and there were no errors in the relations.

I don't think we've ever consciously copied that relation (which is in our start part) into Post Regeneration - has this happened automatically at some point, maybe after upgrading to a certain version of Pro/E?

Hi Jonathan...

No... if there were any calculations in your "Post Regeneration" relations, someone put them there manually. Perhaps someone meant to move them to Post Regen and simply forgot to remove them from Initial. No upgrades of Pro/ENGINEER have ever changed the location of relations. Seems like it was just an oddball error.

Did removing this errro resolve the problem? Are you now getting a "Green Light"?

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian,

Yes, thanks, it now gives a green light. I'll have a chat with the guy who looks after the start part when I next see him, as it definitely has the relation in both sections...

Top Tags