cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Remove Top Status - What does this do?

Airfix
7-Bedrock

Remove Top Status - What does this do?

I saw this question listed back in 2015 but never answered.

What does "Remove Top Status" do when you right click in the layer tree.  I've only seen it recently since I've been on Creo 7.

Airfix_0-1646853441740.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sacquarone
20-Turquoise
(To:VladimirN)

Hello @VladimirN 

Thanks a lot to have provided documentation on this in above articles

Hello @Airfix 

I'm afraid that articles won't be however enough for a good understandng of why and when Remove Top Status is proposed in Layer Tree. To help in this understanding:

• Please consider that this not new to Creo Parametric 7.0 (we have cases dealing with this also in Pro/ENGINEER WIldfire 4.0)
  • This is a consequence of a very specific situation as follows:
    • Value no (default being yes) for save_display_status_in_submodel config.pro option when Layer Status were saved at assembly level
    • and retrieval later in a session where save_display_status_in_submodel is now yes (default then)
  • I illustrated the use case in little commented movie attached to this post, in order to help in the understanding of what happens behind the scene

Regards,

Serge

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sacquarone
20-Turquoise

Hello @VladimirN 

Thanks a lot to have provided documentation on this in above articles

Hello @Airfix 

I'm afraid that articles won't be however enough for a good understandng of why and when Remove Top Status is proposed in Layer Tree. To help in this understanding:

• Please consider that this not new to Creo Parametric 7.0 (we have cases dealing with this also in Pro/ENGINEER WIldfire 4.0)
  • This is a consequence of a very specific situation as follows:
    • Value no (default being yes) for save_display_status_in_submodel config.pro option when Layer Status were saved at assembly level
    • and retrieval later in a session where save_display_status_in_submodel is now yes (default then)
  • I illustrated the use case in little commented movie attached to this post, in order to help in the understanding of what happens behind the scene

Regards,

Serge

Hi Serge,

Thank you for your best support!

sacquarone
20-Turquoise

You're very welcome Vladimir,

It's my pleasure when I can.

Regards,

Serge

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:sacquarone)

@sacquarone,

Setting "save_display_status_in_submodel" to "no", especially in an integrated Windchill environment seems like it would be a really good idea.   Users constantly fight with hiding layers at the assembly level and then inadvertently marking lower level components as modified.  Are there are disadvantages or pitfalls we should be aware of if we switch from "yes" to "no"?  Thanks.

sacquarone
20-Turquoise
(To:TomU)

Hello @TomU 

Good point => Actually documented in article 67103 for your reference.

Now,, it's always diffuclt for us, even in PTC TS, to answer to a question like "which is the best value for a given config option?". If we provide an option, it's always because there is pro and cons to use a given value, and no generic "good setting" answering to expectations of all our customers.

So, what I give you below is just "common sense", and it's then up to each customer to decide which is the best way to go, based on how enviornement is configured in his company. The default yes is provided for save_display_status_in_submodel as a default for the following reasons:

• Allows to drive Layer Status in Models starting from actions in layer status in assemblies

In most of situations, the quilts, datum curves, planes, axis, CSYS etc... have to be "hidden per default" when creating views

and then, each view will display a given layer (for instance, the curves) to display an information "on demand". Value "Yes" helps in this direction

=> If above behaviors are not desired, set option to no

• Allows to save models with proper layer status aligned with what was done in assembly

When Drawings of Components are created after the drawings of assemblies, it's good to have already the expected layer status saved in the model as usually driven by company standard. Saving Layer Status in Assembly (once) will propagate automatically the layer status to All Components, which is a "quick and straight forward" way to align Layer Status in assembly components down to the part level, with just one click in assembly mode

=> In some company, there is "no real standard" in the way how Layer Status are supposed to be stored in components or assemblies

=> Some users are therefore sometimes surprised to see drawings of models changed, due to a layer status changed in the part (because propagated from assebmly conatining them)

=> Some other users are affected by requests of checkout upon Save Layer Status in assembly, which causes issues for read-ony components coming from libraries, or in a given state (Released for instance) intentionnally preventing the checkout action.

=> If company is impacted by above behaviors, and would likle to get rid from them, set option to no

Not an exhaustive answer above ... just some guidance here to make a good decision on choosing yes or no for this given option.

Regards,

Serge

Top Tags