cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Removing External References from a Datum

ptc-4394072
1-Newbie

Removing External References from a Datum

Is there any way to remove external references from a datum plane and have it stay in the same place

Long Version:

I have a large assembly of beams. I have been activating them one at a time and using "use edge" to make cuts in each beam that match the profile of neighboring components. Before completing each sketch, I delete the EDGE references to get rid of any external references so each part can stand alone.

The problem I've been having is when the beam I would like to cut is not perpendicular to the surface profile of the beam it mates with. To the best of my knowledge, this requires me to make a datum plane perpendicular to the cut I would like to make.

I would like to Activate a component within my assembly, create a datum plane by referencing a different part, then delete those references while keeping the datum plane in the same place.

Currently, I'm making a datum with external references and using it to define 3 points in space, writing down the location of those three points, making three new points at the same locations and defining a new datum plane using those points. Then I use my new datum to make my cuts. It's extremely tedious.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Sounds like the assembly wasn't set up correctly for the model intent. Why do you want to delete the external references? I guess I don't fully understand the reasoning behind creating the datum planes. If the parts within the assembly were created outside of the assembly, they will each have their own datum planes, but if they were created within the assembly then I'd just be using the assembly datums, unless of course the extrude is dependent on a previous part in the model tree.

Top Tags