cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Rename and save as top level assembly and sub assembly & parts with dissimilar names

ss3
7-Bedrock
7-Bedrock

Rename and save as top level assembly and sub assembly & parts with dissimilar names

Hi, 

I have two queries,

I have a "top level assembly" of 15 sub assemblies and 100 sub parts.

1) I need to take a "Back up" of my top level assembly. I want to know how to take a back up so that "top level assembly and all sub assemblies and parts" should be with differnt name. And there should not be any link between One Top level assembly to another top level assembly.

2) If i want to "Save As" "Top level assembly", How can we do it so that all the sub assembly and sub parts should also be renamed to different name and one top level assebly to another top level assemnmbly there should not be any link.

Hope my 2 queries are clear. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:ss3)

Backup is to make an identical copy so there is no option to change the names.

Save As is to make a unique copy and usually presents a table of all names and the chance to change the ones you want to change.

see https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Modeling-Questions/Rename-of-parts-and-assemblies/td-p/71619

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:ss3)

Backup is to make an identical copy so there is no option to change the names.

Save As is to make a unique copy and usually presents a table of all names and the chance to change the ones you want to change.

see https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Modeling-Questions/Rename-of-parts-and-assemblies/td-p/71619

ss3
7-Bedrock
7-Bedrock
(To:dschenken)

THANK YOU @dschenken 

The below answer from your link worked fine for me.

And thank you @JosephLord 

Solution:

""If you open your assembly and select file>save a copy, type your new assembly name, then a diolouge box will appear where next to each part there is a drop down box to select whether to reuse a part in the new assembly, or to rename the part in the new assembly. If you select rename, the default is that Pro E adds and underscore '_' to the end of the part name, but you can rename the parts here if you like. I use it if I have an assembly of parts but i want to have one part to have varying features in each assembly. I only have to create the assembly once, then, save a copy (reusing the parts that are common) but renaming the part I want to modify, so when I change this in the new assembly, it does not affect the similar part in the original assembly. I'm not sure if ProE will create new copies of the releted drawings using this technique though. Currently If you save a copy of a part, it will also save a copy of the releted drawing, which is useful. If you do it this way you would have to delete all the original parts if you don't want clutter.""

Top Tags