cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

STEP file cleanup & simplification

kbarton
1-Newbie

STEP file cleanup & simplification

Does Creo3.0 have, or is there ANY automated way to "de-construct / simplify" STEP files without having to basically redo the file?

7 REPLIES 7
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:kbarton)

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Like fix bad imports? Or edit features? Or remove features?

kbarton
1-Newbie
(To:Inoram)

Editing & removing features that make for large file size: Removing threads & knurls for example.Tried importing as an assembly but feature removal (I just want to delete a feature on a connector mounting screw but the STEP needs to be broken down further) still means re-doing that part of the assembly.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

I would start with Shrinkwrap and play with the setting I forget what it's called but there is a setting for how much detail you end up with. Play with that.

Hi Ken,

Could you please elaborate on your question?  It is not clear what you are trying to achieve with the STEP files.

Thanks,

Amit

We pull in STEP files that have too much detail. I need to find a way to make features available to delete without having to give up on the STEP file & re-create a connector for example, with simpler features (no threads, etc.).

Kevin
10-Marble

‌The modules we use are IDD and Flexible Modeling.

Never liked keeping import files as library parts.  I take the time to make what I want to manage.  Sometimes I can make the supplier's STEP file work with a little effort, or I just make my own, like screws.  I have a huge library already and my "master" parts are all fairly parametric, so new hardware is a 2 minute task.

Simple rule... you can put lipstick on a pig, but why would you?  If the model is pure junk, start over.

I've had some luck in IDD by removing features and having them heal and close themselves.  For the most part, not worth the effort.

Top Tags