cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

STEP file created as Facet model, like STL?

VMcD
12-Amethyst

STEP file created as Facet model, like STL?

Has anyone come across the issue of a STEP file being a facet model?

Have you seen any log file like the one on the left?

I've had a few different people on Creo 7.0.4.0 and Agile PLM MCAD 3.6.3 inadvertently create STEP files that are facet models.

They did create STLs of the models at one point.

The STEP log file even shows the facet items

I'm unable to reproduce this issue, or even a log file that looks the same.

Import of STEP file:

VMcD_0-1672869295812.png

This is the facet STEP on left and regular STEP on right. Notice all the PLM-type attributes, like APPROVAL (yes these are from different PRTs)

VMcD_1-1672869490403.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:VMcD)

Hi,

I think you have to ask Agile support.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I've never seen that.  Ever.  Perhaps they made a mistake and actually exported a .stl file and THOUGHT they exported a .stp?  OR, maybe they FUBAR'd some export settings in the output so badly that his is what happened?  Dunno.  Never even HEARD of something like this.

Best of luck!

VMcD
12-Amethyst
(To:Patriot_1776)

Yes, I was hoping the same, user error. However, the Agile EC Check-In creates the STEP export, so User could not select. It seems it was a STEP export b/c the log file header is STEP format.

Thanks for the response and suggestion!

Constantin
13-Aquamarine

Yes, this is possible if your source model is a facet model to start with.
Solid part -> STL -> reimport as part -> save as STEP
I guess this was done by mistake.

VMcD
12-Amethyst
(To:Constantin)

Yes, that is a way to create a Facet STEP file. Unfortunately, this is not what the user performed because the model name was already in use as the native model. So the STEP would have been prt0001.stp

Thanks for the response and suggestion!

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

As far as I know, STEP is pretty much just a "pass through" conversion. It writes out what it gets in. If the log is showing facets being written, it means it must have been processing them from the input file. The only thing I've seen that might let you output geometry "types" that aren't in the original file is if you set "Export solids and quilts as" to one of its available options. Their is an option to Include Facets, but that just tells the exporter whether to include any such geometry that is already in the model. I tried to get a model to be output as facets by playing with the options, but to no avail.

VMcD
12-Amethyst
(To:KenFarley)

Thanks for looking at this. I had the same results from that test as well.

What is weird is even if I do create a PRT from an imported STL, then save as STEP, I cannot create a log file that matches the log file the Agile MCAD integration made.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

I think you have to ask Agile support.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags