cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

STEP file of a part opens in CREO as an assembly

jpeiro
1-Newbie

STEP file of a part opens in CREO as an assembly

Dear fellow CREO users,

I have a problem I cannot find a solution to that involves STEP files and merging/shrinkwrapping an assembly into a single part. My model, which is a single part, consists of a PCB and some connectors. When I create the step file of that part and open it again in CREO or in a STEP viewer, it is imported as an assembly instead of a part. I didn't model the original part, so my best guess is that it previously was an assembly containing the PCB and the connectors that was shrinkwrapped or merged into a single part.

I have also tried to shrinkwrap the original model (the part), saving that shrinkwrap as a STEP and opening again, but it will open it again as an assembly. I want to create this STEP so I can send it out to customers without revealing too much information. Has anyone faced a situation like this before?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:jpeiro)

You don't specify what version of Creo you are using. I'm using Creo 2.0, and when I open a STEP file, if the file was created as an assembly, it defaults to being read as an assembly. If I want to read the geometry in as a merged part, I just switch the file type to "Part" as shown in the attached image. Keep in mind, however, that this often results in models with a lot of surfaces. If the assembly has a lot of parts that intersect each other, the resultant collection of surfaces will be non-manifold, and thus Creo will not be able to create a solid.

STEP Read Asm as Part.png

psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:KenFarley)

The hidden config.pro option intf3d_in_as_part yes

will often give better results when trying to convert assemblies to single parts.

rrich-2
1-Newbie

Another option is to start your part first then choose GET DATA, then IMPORT and pull your step file in that way.   Worst thing that happens is that it merges all the parts together in big blob.  There is a config option that will prevent that if it happens, don't know what it is off the top of my head.

jpeiro
1-Newbie

@Kenneth Farley: You are right, I forgot to mention that I am using Creo 2.0. Thanks for your reply, but my problem is different.

My model is an assembly composed of several parts representing an electronic system, a PCB and some connectors. That PCB originally was a sub-assembly that was merged/shrinkwrapped into a single part (I don't know how it was created).  However, when I convert it to a STEP file and open it, it opens as an assembly by default and not as a part. I know I can force it to open as a part, but that shouldn't be the case. And I don't want my customers to have to do that. I want them to be able to hide/show the different connectors so they can choose the better option for their application, but not able to see the model tree of the PCB sub-assembly.

@Paul Sobejko: Thanks for the tip, but it is not what I am looking for. That setting will make Creo open any step into a single part, even if it is an assembly. In my case, I want to open my model as an assembly (the PCB plus the connectors). The only problem is the PCB (a merged/shrinkwrapped sub-assembly into a single part), it opens as an assembly even though it is a part.

@Ron Rich: Thanks for the tip, but it is not what I am looking for neither. I don't know what software my customers use, it might not be Creo, so it shouldn't be this cumbersome.

Thanks all for your replies anyways!

Top Tags