cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

SUMMARY -- Can Pro/E take advantage of multi-threaded processors?

marcstewart63
1-Newbie

SUMMARY -- Can Pro/E take advantage of multi-threaded processors?

Hello Pro/Users,

I didn't get many responses to this question, but here are the responses I received. Thanks to everyone who responded.

* I did not benchmarked my system but in my tests the only modules of PRO|E that I noticed that take advantage of multi-threading are PhotoRender and Mechanica once the executable of those modules aren't the "xtop", it is complicated to move an application to multi-thread without losing compability with previous versions, I guess this is why PTC is delaying it. Of course a multi-core processor will increase your overall performance because the cores will care of windows's processes and other applications more efficiently thus leaving more room for PRO|E, but in my opinion for now It's better to have a processor with as much clock per core possible, I mean, if you are going to choose between a quadcore 1.76Ghz per core and a core2duo 3.2Ghz the performance in PRO|E probably will be better in core2duo, but today you have a lot of quadcores with higher clock so you just have to weigh up PERFORMANCE YOU "REALY" NEED X MONEY YOU HAVE TO INVEST and decide yourself. But PRO|E doesn't take advantage of multicore processors for sure yet, and I don't think it will until the "Lightning Project launching, I bet 2 or 3 years. Another issue you may check is if those MOTHERBOARDS/PROCESSORS come with standard overclocking system, today any processor can be overclocked 15% with total security, depending of the cooling system you may go far but 15% is a safe margin, but probably HP doesn't support it by standard due warranty issues. I have not solid information for you regarding hardware benchmarks so this is just my thoughts. Good luck

* Pro/E is multi-threaded, but not at all times. If I recall correctly, it multi-threads during retrieval and tessellation (for shaded images). I suspect that for most people, that will not be very significant. However, this does not mean that you should avoid multi-core CPU's. They are advantageous for several reasons. The bottom line is that you need to know which CPU's truly make a difference for Pro/E. And the best place for that info is
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags